Chapter 22: Predicament

It only goes downhill from here, I guess.

Seriously- thank you all for your support. Don't be a silent reader and love to hear from you!

.

.

.

1 year ago

Dinner on Fridays at home was one rule no one in the household could break. Given how busy Mom and Dad were and sometimes me, throughout the weekday we would be lucky to remember to eat.

Mom kept tabs on whether or not Erico and I ate at Grand Lobby. Most times, she would store some food in the fridge for us at dinnertime if she couldn't make it or something happened. But Fridays we always had to eat and be at the table at home by 7:00 PM. No exceptions.

I think this rule was more for both Mom and Dad than us. So they could make sure we would all have time to eat together. Erico and I ate breakfast most days together. Dad woke up earliest and would run out the house without taking a bite to eat. Mom would prepare us breakfast if she had time.

Overall, it was sometimes really hectic in all days but Friday nights.

Our dining table sat only four, but it was customized so it would bring us closer together. Another larger dining table in the actual dining hall hosted about 20-30 people and that's when all the family came together to eat.

Dad, Erico and I were seated while Mom was finishing up the garlic bread in the oven that she was trying to make perfect, telling us she got this.

I quickly texted West some ideas I had before Dad broke my thoughts, so I hid my phone under my thighs, pretending I didn't have it.

Another rule at the dining table? No electronics.

"Erico," Dad held out his hand. My brother was the first one to be found.

Erico groaned out, frowning as he handed over his gaming console.

"But Dad," Erico whined out. Dad always called Erico his "Mini Me". With wide trusting gray eyes and the signature Stryder cheekbones, Erico would grow into an exact replica of Grandpa and Dad. Sometimes it was uncanny looking at my little brother and thinking how cute he is, but if he got mad, he looked like Grandpa and a force to be reckoned with.

I snickered, and that was my down fall. Dad turned over to me.

"Phone." Dad motioned his hand to me now.

It was my turn to whine. "Dad, please. I'm planning a party. That's more important than whatever Erico would be doing."

Erico stuck out his tongue in the most little brother cliché ever. "Haha!" he laughed at me.

"Freya." Dad's tone left no room for argument. It's not my fault he didn't understand how much time planning a party takes. Every detail needed to be perfect.

I sighed loudly. Reluctantly giving Dad my phone. "Be gentle with her. I forgot to pick out a phone case."

Dad placed my phone right on top of Erico's gaming console at the very edge of the table, and my eye twitched. My phone buzzed, signaling I had a text message. Dad sipped his water casually, like there was nothing going on.

"Can't I just peek once?"

"No," Mom came around the table to place the garlic bread, kissing Erico and me on the heads and she sat opposite of Dad.