Chapter 8: New Friends

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO VOTES AND COMMENTS! Also those who show their support in other ways like messaging me. I always need motivation to write even when I have it. Make my day :)

Why do I even have mates when I love throwing a wrench in the mate bond all the time? It's always so much more fun that way.

Also. Can't believe I'm saying this, but no Freya hate will be tolerated. Will mute.

.

.

.

"Date Callum?"

I had to ask this for her to clarify that I heard her right. Because there's just no way.

"Yes." Opal nodded.

Okay, so there is way.

"Why do you think I can help you?" I asked. But I did want to help her. Anything to make a friend here.

"Well, he was baking some strawberry muffins and we asked him why and he told us he was doing it for you. I didn't know you both were friends."

I squinted. Friends? That was overexaggerating.  Wait. There's no way she just said what she said. I gasped a little, "He was making me muffins?"

Strawberry at that. It took all of me not to just run to the kitchen and take it all. I itched a little, but held my ground. And the little ounce of self control.

Opal nodded. "He did. You know, Callum hardly speaks to anyone but Alpha Julian. He has a new friend now that he even bakes for. We've never heard of it. It must be nice for him to have you..." Opal trailed off, realizing something as a frown crossed her face. "Given that- wait- is it okay? Do you like-"

Immediately, I got what she was trying to say.

"Please no!" I said quickly, waving my arms frantically. Way too quick anyone would think it's deep denial. "Buy all mean you have my blessing! I will help you date him." Did I know anything in the relationship department? Absolutely not. Brian was nothing. He was there for a week and cheated on me.

Even now, that still stung me a little. For the fact that Lainey would do that to me and Brian thinking he could cheat on someone like me.

Opal grinned at me broadly.  "We were scared of you. Ara told me you probably didn't want anything to do with this, but I knew you weren't so scary?"

 "Me?" I pointed to myself. Scary? Stryders always get a bad reputation for looking scary for some reason. I guess we just have those faces.

"You seemed so ethereal and beautiful like you couldn't be with us. But I knew you were going to be kind. And I was right."

She knew I was kind? That made me teary for some reason.

"Ah, don't worry Opal. As I have zero experience in the relationship department," I started. "I will help you try to get with him. No, I don't know why you want to. But I will."

Opal squealed loudly, causing some of the mothers to give us looks. She jumped on me, hugging me. "Thank you so much! You have no idea how much that means to me."

"Yeah, yeah." At least I need something to pass the time. Matchmaker was the last thing I thought I'd be, maybe only for my cousins, but here we are.

"Come on," Opal grabbed my hand. "Let's meet Flora and Ara. They're waiting. for me to fail, but I can't wait to prove them wrong." I actually gave a small chuckle as we exited my tent.