Chapter 7: Settling In

Thank you so much for everyone who supports this story by commenting, voting and sending me messages! They all me so much. Motivate me lol

You guys are the best.

How are we liking it so far? 

.

.

.

Today's chore was in the garden. Helping to wash all the vegetables together. 

This pack did everything so orderly and to a timely manner, I was actually impressed with them.

From the beginning of the day, some woke up early in the morning to make breakfast for everyone- usually at certain time frames they would eat breakfast before going to do their task that was assigned to them.

For the most part, everyone kept their distance away from me. I understood why- I was an outsider, and no pack liked those. Unless I joined, I would always be an outsider to them.

I sighed, picking out the lettuce leaves. This wasn't fun at all. After I was done with my task, the reward was going on your lunch break and to eat food. It really took a village to get everything done, I mused.

Lorraine asked me if I could go to the village store- the one I got caught in- to grab a shovel to do some planting and gardening. I knew where it was kind of, and it wasn't that far.

Walking inside the store, there was a different guy that was at the cashier, reading a magazine and not paying attention to me.

I found where the shovel was in the back corner of the store, feeling happy I could manage to do one small menial task. Going to the counter to check out, the guy was still not paying attention to me.

"Daisuke," I read his name tag out loud. "Ready to go."

"Don't wear it out," the man muttered, seemingly my age. He tilted his head at me. "Never seen you around here."

"I'm new," I said. I raised my hand to show him the shovel I was carrying. "And how much for the shovel?" The huge wad of cash I bought with me was in my pocket. Not secure, I know, but I didn't know where else to put it. It wouldn't fit in my heels.

Daisuke gave me a frown. "Nothing. We don't pay around here."

"What?"

Daisuke let out a long breath like he was already done with me. "We barter. Money is meaningless here. So. Tell me, what would you give for that shovel?"

"I-I don't have anything," I looked down at myself. Usually, I would be decked out in rings, bracelets and expensive necklaces, but from the suite case accident in the road, everything was gone. "Wait. My heels. They're expensive."

"What am I going to do with your heels?"

"They're Louboutin's," I mentioned. Daisuke stared at me blankly like that meant anything to him at all. "Right..." I trailed off, looking off in the distance. I gasped, pointing at the ceiling. "A bird!"

Daisuke looked back, and I made a run for it.

"Hey!" Daisuke hollered, and in one moment he was behind me and the next he's in front of me, making me collide with me. "Look, I don't get paid enough for this. Actually, I don't even get paid at all. I screw up every single thing here, so I would be so thankful if you would just give me a trade."