I can’t help how my heart skips when I see him. It’s involuntary. He is a handsome Alpha, as one would expect. I still remember the day I saw him at the mating festival almost six years ago. Back then I thought he was the most handsome wolf I’d ever seen. Tall, perfectly muscular, hair the color of golden sand, and deep blue eyes like a stormy ocean. His quiet nature spoke of mystery, and he intrigued me. Right up until the moment he rejected me.

Hela and I were in full agreement that any wolf who didn’t want us, nor respected the mate bond, was not worthy of our heartbreak.

After I cried with Eva for a week, I pushed Gage out of my mind and have barely thought of him since.

It’s only been the last few months since Neo and Sebastian mated that I’ve had the misfortune to be around him. Each time, sure, the mate bond did its thing, I can’t help but find him attractive, but am I going to act on it? Hell no.

“Freya. You planning on getting out?” Sebastian looks at me with a raised eyebrow and I realize I’ve been sitting and staring at Gage.

“Yeah. Okay. Look, don’t hang around. I got this. Just get back to Neo. I’m still pissed, but I don’t want my niece arriving without her daddy around.”

I can see Sebastian’s relief as he helps me with my bag, then after a quick greeting to Gage, he drives off.

“Welcome, Freya. It’s been a while.” Gage says quietly, not making any attempt to shake my hand which I’m grateful for.

“Not long enough Gage,” I say staring him straight in the eyes. I want him to know I don’t want to be here.

Gage nods understanding me clearly. Epsilons beside him take my bags into the pack house.

“Let’s talk in my office and then get you settled in,” Gage says and I follow him into the house.

It’s quiet. That’s the first thing I notice. The living room has a few teens watching a TV show with the volume so low you can barely hear it. The rest of the pack house is empty. I don’t express any curiosity. I’m not interested, but Hela peeks up.

This would have been her home if Gage had not rejected us. She was born to be Luna of this pack. It’s impossible for her to not be curious about those that should have been her wolves.

The mansion is impeccable. Nothing is out of place, it gleams with cleanliness. Such a contrast to the bustling lived-in feeling at Crescent Ridge. I shake my head mentally.

I’ve got to stop thinking about Crescent Ridge and it’s Alphas.

Part of me feels foolish for the way I threw myself at Xander and Knox. I did things with them I’ve never even dreamed of and I know Gage can scent that I’m no longer a virgin. That part doesn’t bother me. Gage is no innocent either.

What bothers me the most is I fell in love with Xander and Knox and I thought they felt the same. Sure they never said the words but everything that happened made me believe they were falling for me as hard as I fell for them. And yet here I am and they’ve done nothing to stop this. They said I was theirs, and they were mine. Looks like it was all just words. I feel like a stupid fool.

Gage holds open the door to his office. As I pass through my shoulder lightly brushes his chest and I have to bite my lip as quiet sparks run down my arm.

Fucking mate bond.

Until either of us is mated again the bond will always be there.

“Sorry,” I mumble stepping away from Gage and finding the furthest seat from his desk.