epilogue

FORCED RECONCILIATION, CHAPTER 30

"In ten years," I pause to catch my breath. "Where do you see yourself? Who do you want to be?"

"Andi, tell me you and the kids are alright."

"We're okay. They're both asleep. Please answer my question. Ten years, who do you want to be?"

"I want to be a great husband, a great father, and I want to still make people smile by doing what I love."

Simple and perfect, nothing short of what I expected.

__________________

// TEN YEARS LATER // JANUARY 1, 2032 //

No perspective

As the entire Styles/Hayes family trickled out of the car one by one into the crisp January air, they all felt the familiar peace mixed with somberness overwhelm their bodies.

With Harry having been the one that drove, Andi jumps out of the passenger seat and watches as the rest of her kids step out onto the grass.

Grabbing the hand of her youngest child, she rubs the back of their hand with her thumb to remind them that this day each year shouldn't be filled with sadness, and this place should bring them nothing but peace and remembrance.

Harry rounds the car to be with his family where he takes Andi's other hand and together, they head for the plots that they've come to know so well over the last twelve years.

In his other hand, he holds a large bouquet of white tulips, Lila's favorite.

The family makes their way through the perfectly cut grass, being mindful of other people's loved ones that they're passing by.

When they reach the familiar headstones with their friends' names on them, Andi spreads a blanket out for everyone to sit on, and as they do every year, they all pile onto it one way or another.

"Hey guys," Harry starts. "Can't believe it's been another year without you two."

Andi rests her head on Harry's shoulder, a smile playing on her lips. "This is my favorite day of the year because I get to spend it with you guys again."

"El, you want to go first?" Harry turns to his daughter to which she nods and pushes back the hair from her face.

"Hi mom, hi dad," I smile

I never know how to start when we come here to see them, but once I start talking, it gets hard for me to stop. I don't know if that's just my anxiety talking for me or what, but I'd like to think that it's because there's a part of me that believes I'm really talking to my mom and dad.

"I'm fourteen, about to be fifteen this year. I started high school at a private school even though I begged mom and dad to let me go to public school. I even pitched the idea that mom homeschools me, but she didn't love that one. It's probably for the best, though. I think I'd go crazy sitting at home all day not being able to talk to people."