18

Andi Rhoades

"Ellie? Where are you?"

As I make my way through the front door to Max and Lila's house, I don't miss the lack of stumbling footsteps running towards me like I hear every day. Normally, Ellie's waiting for me to get home and runs straight into my arms the second I step through the door.

Silence.

I've never heard this house so quiet on a Friday afternoon. Normally Ellie is running around playing or at least the tv will be playing something to drown out the silence, but not today.

I can't help but jump to the worst case scenario; that something's wrong, and it has me quickening my steps through the dining room in search for anyone or anything that can give me some sort of hint that they're okay.

When I round the corner to the kitchen, I almost run straight into something —or someone, rather— and it has me stumbling back to catch my feet under me.

"Oh my gosh, Sophia! You scared me. Hey, where's Ellie and Rome?" The tall blonde stands before me in a pair of mom jeans and a purple tank top. Over the last week, I've only gotten to know Sophia by the tiniest bit.

Harry and I met her when we did the final stages of interviews for the position, and I remember liking her alright, but she had really good recommendations and her resume seemed perfect for what we were looking for.

She's twenty-six, I believe, and she's spent a lot of time nannying for other high profile clients, and that was important to Harry and Jeff. They wanted someone that wasn't just trying to get an inside to Harry's life and career. She's really pretty, and I think she mentioned that she models on the side.

We've hardly talked since our first meeting, though. Since the event where I had a meltdown over her in the kitchen, I feel like there's a weird energy between us. I basically only see her when I get here after work, so she can leave, but sometimes she isn't even here if Harry isn't busy and is able to watch the kids.

Harry and I both agree that we want to be with the kids as much as possible, and we don't want to leave them with the nanny unless it's necessary. Especially since they'll be spending the majority of the day with Sophia when Harry goes on tour, Harry wants to soak up all the time he has with Ellie and Rome.

Sophia leans back on her heels and crosses her arms over her chest, "Oh, hi. They're taking their nap."

"A nap? They usually don't nap right now, otherwise Ellie is up all night, it's too close to their bedtime." I try to say all of this with the nicest tone possible.

Sophia shrugs, "Yeah, but I think their schedule could use some rearranging. I think this will work better in the long run."

"Um... oh, okay. Yeah, I mean... you're the professional," I smile.

"Right, so I'm going to head out then unless you need anything?" I shake my head. Sophia gives me one more look, scanning my body, and I find myself feeling small under her gaze.

She grabs her bag from the counter, sends a small smile my way, and heads for the front door where she leaves me standing in the kitchen, trying to figure out if I'm reading too much into that interaction, or if she was actually as off as I'm imagining.

I know I'm sensitive, especially recently, and especially around her where I'm already feeling like she thinks less of me. Maybe she was having a bad day, and maybe I am too and it's not actually a big deal.

Deciding to just shake it off and distract myself until the kids wake up and Harry comes home, I carry my bag over to the couch where I pull out some essays that need to be graded. I decide to put on an episode of Friends to have as background noise while I read through the different argumentative essay topics.