Chapter 39: Stryder Men

Comincia dall'inizio

"Because I love you."

"Freya," Callum's voice turned serious, and I leaned back to look at him. Biting my lip, shy at my own confession. His sharp gaze turning my insides into mush. My pulse thrummed- something Callum probably heard.

His hands splayed on my waist, digging in only a little, lighting a fire inside of me. My robe wasn't thick enough to feel the sensation that his hands caused me through the fabric. Scorching. Burning. 

I leaned in only a little towards him, and Callum kissed me. With no hesitation, and only boldness as he parted my lips and his tongue tangled over mine. Tasting. Testing. Teasing.

Embarrassingly, I let out a small moan which only encouraged Callum as his hands trailed upward to my bare shoulders.

A knock on my door startled both of us. Breaking us out of our heated kiss.

Mom was outside the door, telling us that everyone had arrived. And they were waiting in the Council Chamber.

XXXX

Dad, Grandpa, Uncle Lance, West, Wyatt and Erico were all waiting to meet Callum in the Council Chambers.

Aunt Ava meeting him before anyone was as good as it got when she looked Callum up and down. "You'll be helping us with putting the boxes of books in the store this week."

"Of course," Callum nodded in agreement.

"I already like him," Aunt Ava gave me a wink. "Good luck."

"She doesn't mean that," I said, desperately as I watched my aunt go inside the cafe where Mom and Edith were. 

Both of us stood in front of the door to the Council Chambers, and it was Mom who told me not to go in and say anything. "They just want to meet him alone," she told me.

"I don't know, maybe we should just leave here," I said suddenly, nervous for Callum. For some reason, Callum was completely calm about this whole situation. He didn't know what he was getting himself into meeting my crazy family.

"They just want to talk. I'm happy that they feel this protective of you."

I gave him a crazy look. "If they say anything to make you offended or angry, let them have it."

"Seeing you so flustered is cute," Callum tapped my nose with his knuckles. Not looking in the least bit concerned. Seriously how wasn't he? Wasn't everyone scared to meet the parents? "Your Mom is probably scarier than your Dad."

His logic was flawless, I had to give him that. "True. Dad is scared of Mom. Grandpa and Uncle Lance are teddy bears. My cousins are friendly. And you already met Erico." Thank goodness for that.

"It'll be fine," Callum said. Before he walked into the room. Alone. Without me.

Suffice to say, they were in the room for a long time.

Mom, Aunt Ava and Edith were sitting down at one of the tables in the Grand Lobby cafe, snacking on some fruit as they watched me pace around.

None of them seem concerned, but I knew my hair looked crazy as much as I was messing with it the whole time.

Finally, after long excruciating hours, all of them entered the room. First it was Erico who didn't say anything, but picked up some grapes from the fruit tray. West and Wyatt greeted me - it still being awkward with West, but I knew it looked like he wanted to say something to me. Grandpa, Uncle Lance and Callum were next, talking about something looking rather chummy.

Last was Dad that entered the room, his expression was the only one that was stoic. I couldn't read it at all. 

I guess we both pretended like he didn't just meet my mate because he gave me his usual greeting, asking me how I was. I wanted to ask the obvious question, but held my tongue.