Maybe asking Mason had been the wrong decision. There were other people she could ask that would be less annoying. Any one of the Keller brothers would do. She pictured James, Clint, and Brock all sitting on the curved pastel couches and winced. Never mind, they'd be uncomfortable and try to placate her. Mason was her only hope.

What a depressing thought.

Instead of driving, Carter led Mason out to the street and down a few blocks. They entered an empty dress shop and instantly were greeted by the same polished woman who'd assisted her last time, Jane. On seeing Mason, she froze.

"Mr. Douglas," she said. She darted a look to Carter then back at Mason.

Carter could read her bafflement at Carter being with a former first son.

"Not my fiancé," Carter said.

"Oh. I didn't-"

"Bring out the options Owens has set aside," Mason said striding over to the couches. "And bring me sparkling water and something to eat. Owens, go try on the first dress."

Seated, he rested his arm across the back and propped his ankle on his leg.

"Go on," Mason said, gesturing to Carter.

She'd been right, this was a terrible decision but had no other option. Carter went to the changing room and picked randomly from the many options Jane brought her. Dressed, she didn't bother looking in the mirror, she'd lost all perspective on what she felt good in and what looked the best.

As she stepped out, she saw Mason had gotten his food and sipped from a champagne flute looking like he owned the place. He eyed her.

"You look like a pastry. Next," he said.

"Blunt."

"Do you want flattery or do you want efficiency?"

Carter couldn't argue with that and returned to the changing room. When she walked out again, Mason nearly spat out the cheese and cracker he'd been swallowing. He coughed and Carter put her hands on her hips, unamused.

"Who told you, you looked good in that?" Mason said. "That's just cruel."

Carter threw up her hands and didn't even wait to hear what similarity he drew between her and some object. With the next dress, Carter had to grab fistfuls of it to be able to walk. Mason nodded as she appeared.

"I think this is one," he said.

"You do?"

"Yeah I could insult you constantly and you'd never be able to catch me to punch me."

Carter picked up a throw pillow nearby and chucked it at his head. He ducked and the pillow grazed his ear.

"Next," Mason said, still bent over.

Carter left the changing room at a shuffling walk, the tight form of the dress restricting her. Mason only stared at her.

"I'm sorry, but are you secretly hated by your stepmother and future mother-in-law? Do they wish you to die by embarrassment?" Mason waved her away. "Please change quickly, that dress is hurting my eyes and your walk is tragic."

Carter waddled away. Strangely, she found she wasn't insulted by Mason's comments. He was making quick work of the options set aside and that's what she needed. One after another Carter changed into them and stood before Mason for his brutal evaluation.

"You look like over-cooked rice. Next."

"I'm sorry but you are too violent to be a Disney Princess. Next."