Chapter 77 - Engagement

Start from the beginning

"Sorry..." said Armin, frowning. "It's just that it's weird... You're 'the' Captain Levi, I can't help but feel at least intimidated by you."

"Oh, the perks of being famous..." replied Levi, shaking his head, contemplative. "Don't worry about it. Over time, you'll realize that I'm more normal than you think. We're even alike, I believe."

"Stubborn and pigheaded?" Armin dared to ask, not holding back a little smile.

"Exactly," agreed Levi, then he sighed, "completely crazy for even crazier women."

This time, Armin couldn't help but chuckle. Although Lara was not Hange's biological daughter, they both had many similarities in their personalities, and he remembered times when Lara showed a more euphoric behavior in the face of something exciting, just like Hange used to do with Titans, for example. In addition to both being very playful and lively.

After this comment from Levi, the mood between them two softened and now, Armin was already feeling more relaxed. Levi then turned to him.

"If possible, it might be interesting that on Saturday, you bring a pair of rings*. You may have already noticed that, just like Hange, Lara doesn't usually wear jewelry, but she has a more romantic view of things. Hange didn't mind having a ring when I proposed to her, but I think Lara would like it, even though she doesn't show it."

"Oh, okay, sure," replied Armin, nodding. "I'll do it. Do you have any idea of design, or her size...?"

"Hang on," Levi left. Armin saw him heading to the bedroom where Hange was sleeping. Thirty seconds later, he came back. Levi took off his own wedding ring and handed the pair into Armin's hand.

"Use these models as examples. It was Lara who helped us choose them when I took Hange to the jewelry store, so I believe she likes it."

Armin analyzed the rings. Levi's was gold and plain, without any detail. Hange's had only a bas-relief fillet and a tiny, discreet shiny stone.

"I believe Lara's size is one smaller than mine," continued Levi. "You can try yours at the jewelry store."

Armin handed the pair of rings back, thanking him a lot for the tips. Levi sat down on the bed and turned to him.

"Do you have money to buy them?"

"Yes," replied Armin, putting back the seashell he was still holding on the bedside table. "Actually, since I joined the Survey Corps, I've invested pretty much my whole salary, 'cause I got everything I need in the Headquarters. I only spend about ten to fifteen percent to buy stuff I want once in a while, like clothes and books."

"No way you invest, too?!" exclaimed Levi, looking excited. "Finally I found someone who understands these matters. Please don't bring up this topic in Hange's presence, she just hates it. Lara kinda likes it."

"Really?" asked Armin, smiling. "I do like it a lot. In fact, I was sort of forced to like it, for losing my family at a very young age. So, I had to learn how to make my money grow, to support myself in the smartest possible way."

Levi was impressed by Armin's sense of responsibility and his affection for him grew even more. They kept talking about their investments and discovered that they invested in almost the same funds. When they least noticed, Lara popped up at the door, wearing a light color midi-length dress and drying her hair on a towel.

"Dad, the pie's smelling."

"Oh, no!" Levi quickly left the bedroom.

Lara smiled at Armin, who replied. He wasn't used to seeing Lara in such casual clothes, because at work they always wore the uniform.