38

The next few weeks were surprisingly okay. Okay as it could get in a place like this. I often see Mitch in our secret places and was growing fond of our talks. I felt human with Mitch but also like I was deceiving him. I was also still running heavy with Ja'Zaye. I told her I'd do anything except drops again, I didn't want Mitch to know what I was up to. Ja'Zaye and I were still all over each other every chance we got and I have to admit, the thrill of sneaking around was powerful, I felt invisible. Like, no one could see me while looking right at me.

Today was the first day of shift change, that means for the next three months, Mitch would be overnight, I was excited but didn't want to show it. I was fixing my hair, secretly hoping he'd notice. Rayna walked into the cell not missing a beat.

"Oh, who are we looking pretty for? Is it Mitch or Ja'Zaye?"

I chuckled "Neither! I just wanted to do my hair."

"Mhm." She said while giving me a side eye.

We both laughed.

"What if I said both?" I asked

"Then I'd say, get it girl!" She said while high-fiving me.

Rayna knew of both situations because she caught me with Ja'Zaye and is often here when Mitch comes to get me.

"Girl do you think that they suspect that you're cheating?"

I giggled "Rayna, how could I be cheating when I'm not with either of them? Mitch and I do nothing more than talk."

"Just be careful because you're saying you're not with them but word around here is Ja'Zaye is really feeling you."

"Rayna, it's going to be fine. I'm going to go see her now."

"It's kind of early, let me guess... is it because your boyfriend will be here later?"

"Oh, is that today?" I asked sarcastically as I headed for the door. She smiled at me and
Waved her hand.

I got down to Ja'Zaye's cell and she was sitting alone. I expected to find her surrounded by her posse as she always was.

"Hey, what's up?" She greeted me in a very bland manner.

"Hey, everything okay?" I asked

She started to pat the empty space beside her, instructing for me to come sit.

"What's wrong?" I asked again.

She looked at me and smiled.
"You've been great. I care about you so much, Deysire." She said as she grabbed my face.

"What are you saying, Ja'Zaye?"

She reached underneath her pillow and pulled out a letter and handed it to me. I started to read and quickly realized what they were.
They're her release papers.