18

"Cry baby shake out of it!" Rayna demanded. She assured me that she wouldn't get caught.

"Rayna, listen to me, you have to tell them it was you. You can say it was a mistake."

"Yeah right! F**k that! If they find out it was me, that just means they're good at their job and if not, I was a little bit better at mine."

I was in total shock! Look at her standing here acting like some badass.

"If you say so." I replied.

"Listen, if this b***h dies, I'll have all the victory I need. She has made both of our lives a living hell. I don't feel bad for her. I don't want to lose you as a friend either, Deysire."

We both looked at each other in shock.

"Rayna, I can't remember you ever calling me by my real name."

"Oh, sh*t! You're right, it feels weird to say it."

I let out a faint grin.

"Listen, I know you're scared but don't be. Griffin got what was coming to her."

"Rayna, I'm not concerned about her, it's YOU that I'm worried about. Do you know what these officers would do to you?"

"Just trust me, Cry Baby."

I left the situation alone and we sat in our cell, talking about nothing.

After weeks of being on lock down with no contact to our loved ones, every inmate being questioned and not even being able to take a shower. The lock down was finally over and even though we weren't free, we were as free as free could get in here.

I'm not sure what strings were pulled but word going around was that some Lifer admitted to the stabbing and just like that, Rayna was off the hook. They'll never know it was her.

I was sitting in the day room in the corner alone, waiting for the phone line to die down. Ja'Zaye walked over to me.

"Hey There, long time no see."

"What do you want, Ja'Zaye?"

She stroked my hair "You, so stop wasting time."

I pulled back "Sorry, the feeling isn't mutual."

She let out a devious chuckle "I'll be on floor duty tonight, meet me in the bathroom after 2:00a count.

"Listen, I don't know what games you play but I'm not a criminal."

"Me either, just a girl who likes crime play. See you tonight."

She walked away and I was scared. I can't believe that I was really being targeted. What happens if I say no? Who would I tell?

"Hey, Deysire" Officer Mitch greeted as he walked over towards me.

"Hey, Officer Mitch. How are you?"

"Well, I'm here and I guess that's what counts the most."

"I know you're not supposed to tell me but Griffin, is she going to be okay?"

He looked at me in silence.

"I'll see you later." He said.

He walked off and I looked towards the entrance where another guard was walking in.

I sat there in deep thought until it was finally my turn to use the phone.

I haven't spoken to my mother in weeks, I kept rereading her old letters, she was sending pictures of Grace and I never received them due to the lockdown and I was excited to finally be able to talk to her.

"Hello?"

"Hey mom, how are you?"

"Hey, my baby."

"Mom, are you okay?"

"I, I... called the counselor." She stuttered

"Mom, called the counselor for what?

She started to cry.

"I'm sorry, baby."

Tears started to fall and I began to cry

"Mom, tell me Grace is fine."

She cried even harder

"Baby, he took her from me."

"MOM, who? Who took her?"

"Keith. Oh, baby him and his new rich wife."

My heart shattered to a million pieces as I slid to the floor crying uncontrollably.