10

I cried. My side was hurting. Rayna was holding me and I remember falling to the floor, I heard voices and I remember praying and asking GOD to save my baby. I woke up in the infirmary, and I could hear the doctor. "There's no time, we have to get her to the hospital. I screamed and begged them to tell me if my baby was okay. The prison's doctor, Dr. Golden was always so nice to me. She grabbed my hand and told me "I promise you, I am going to do everything in my power to save your daughter."

They loaded me on an ambulance where I was carried to the hospital, I don't remember much after arriving there, everything was a blur. I could see the EMT guy standing over me but blacked out.

I woke up with no side pain but my stomach was sore. I reached down to hold the area of soreness and realized that I had been cut. The nurse walked in

"Good morning, mommy. Glad to see you're up."

"What happened? Why am I cut?"

"You were admitted for hemorrhaging, which distressed the baby."

"My baby, what happened to my baby?" I cried

"We had to perform an emergency C-section. Hang on, I'll get the doctor for you."

She walked out of the room and walked back in seconds later with the doctor.

"Hello there, Mrs. Washington. I am Dr. Schultz and I'll be caring for you."

"I don't care about me, just tell me if my daughter is okay." I cried, holding my stomach.

He asked the nurse to leave the room. He walked over to me and grabbed my hand. My heart dropped. He looked at me and said "Your daughter is fine."

"Oh, Thank GOD." I cried.

"While we were able to save her, she does have a number of complications."

"Like what?" I questioned.

"Your daughter was born premature. Her organs aren't fully developed, she isn't breathing on her own and is being fed through tubes."

"Can I see her?" I begged

He gave me a sad look and let go of my hand.
"I'm not supposed to let you see her as ordered by the court order received this morning."

"What?" I asked

He walked over to the door and shut it completely.
"Listen, Shay told me your story."

"Who the hell is Shay?"

"Dr. Golden. She works at the prison. We're good friends. She told me to take good care of you. I'm not supposed to do this, I could lose my job but when the guards leave their post for their lunch, I am going to take you down to the NICU to see your daughter.

"Thank you. Thank you so much." I cried."

"It won't be long but I will do that for you."

Tears started to fall as I continuously thanked him. He hugged me and told me he would be back once the guards left.