16

I was flattered but also concerned. Why does she want to help me and I've barely even given her eye contact.

I finished my breakfast and went back down to the dorm. Rayna was inside of the cell with her face buried in the pillow and I could hear her sobbing.

"Rayna? Are you okay?"

She looked at me with her eyes red and puffy still spilling tears.

"Oh, Rayna." I said going over to her.
I wrapped my arms around her and she grabbed me and started to cry a little more.

"Deysire, she's the only person who has ever loved me." She cried.

"Oh, Rayna. I understand."

I sat next to her on the floor and held her hand.
she gripped my hand tightly and started
"I've been r*ped over a hundred times. My uncles, my mom's boyfriends and guys that I've prostituted with. Guys that fooled me into thinking that they loved me. They forced themselves on me and I was never really comfortable with sex until I met Papi. I chose her and she chose me. The desire to please each other was mutual and to you, I'm sure it may just sound like cliché' prison lesbianism, but I love her."

I didn't say anything, I listened. She didn't need advice, she needed someone to listen and I didn't mind.

I listened to her and then we both decided to go to the yard, to get some fresh air.

On the yard, we were able to see and talk to the girls from other dorms. I never really say much to them but Rayna knows almost everybody. She spotted one of Papi's cellmates and walked over to speak to her, I stayed behind and chose to go take a walk around the track. Ja'Zaye came from out of nowhere.

"Hey again."

"Ja'Zaye, right?"

"That's right. Deysire, is it?"

We both let out a laugh.

"There you go, there's a smile. Nice."

"Thanks."

"Anytime. So, I've heard your story and I may be able to help you."

"What makes you think I need help?"

"I've seen you here moping for a few months now and trust me, you need help."

"Why do you want to help me?"

"Because I think you could help me."

I stopped walking and looked at her.
"Help you how?"

"I heard you're into money."

"I was an accountant. I didn't really embezzle money."

"I don't need you to embezzle anything, just manage it. You agree to do that and I can get you out of here. I've been watching you since you came in here crying. You didn't get my note?"

"THAT NOTE WAS FROM YOU?"

I stood in silence. She's bluffing and even if not, I want no parts of it.