[2.1] THE NIGHT COURT

•|•|•
"Now little ones, go to sleep. For the Night Wolf brings the Shadows, and he has fangs that breathe death."
•|•|•

I KNEW I was cursed long before I ever knew I was a Keffer. AMA said she found me buried in a pile of ash in the forest that bordered the Fire Wolf Territory as she and her pack warriors watched the borders.

I was hiding was all that I remembered.

Six and scared to death, fire and ash falling from the sky in that half-burnt forest, only the sounds of horses and screams echoing in my mind.

Staring down at my skin I ignored the yank of the carriage beneath us on the harsh gravel road, our backs leaning against the silver bars of the cage.

Vale had fallen asleep at the crack of Dawn after crying a while, her head slumped against my shoulder, but her arm remained wrapped around me on instinct.

There was a huge contrast in our skin tones. Another curse of mine. I was the only one that was different in my pack, they had never seen anyone quite like me. Neither had I, though I was sure my parents must have been.

Whilst Vale's skin was milky, only blotched by the dirt of the cage, mine remained as dark as night, the dirt blending into the tone.

Shade they named me. Because I was the absence of light.

Vale's hair was long and light, whilst mine was short, dark, thick, and stubborn, unable to flow down to my shoulders.

I pursed my lips, looking out of the cage. The sun was high up ahead, soon would be scorching. I grabbed a rag in the cage throwing it over Vale. Her pale skin would surely fry as I noticed it did in direct sunlight.

Mine was already too dark to fry.

I swallowed softly, I needed to wet my throat, dry from the lack of water. My head leaned against the bars closing my eyes. We had a full day's journey to get to Night Wolfs Court, but sleep would not come.

The Night Wolf.

Of all Courts we could have been taken to, sold or traded, that of the devil himself? My chest tightened as I glanced down at Vale.

Of course.

I was cursed.

It was the reason I had no family, why I was a Keffer and why I was headed to the home of the most feared Arc-Alpha of the 4 territories.

There was only one comfort I had. As a Keffer, I would probably not be allowed to even stand in the presence of his royal blood. That is if they didn't kill me before that.

Either way, I would never have to see that monster, but Vale-

My eyes opened looking down at her, tears glazing my eyes. Slaves died every day in that court, all victims.

The Night Wolf was known to be unforgiving, heart as dark as his Arc-Wolf. It is the only reason why his territory was the largest among the 4 Arc- Alpha, and why he was feared the most despite the many mysteries turned into myths about him.

Perhaps I should appreciate the safety it brought being a pack under his rule, but that too evidently, came with a price.

"Do you think we will survive a night there?" Vale asked, indicating she had long been awake.

I glanced down at her with a soft sigh.

"AMA said the Night Court is a big place. They'll probably have hundreds of slaves, we will never even see the Royal," I encouraged.

She didn't reply right away, sitting up in the cage, her eyes puffed up from crying, but her tone was dead.

"I was scared, but I'm not anymore," Vale stated, leaning against the cage as it rattled roughly once more, her head turned my way, pale blue eyes catching mine.