[4.1] THE EYES IN THE SHADOWS

•|•|•
"Watch the Shadows, pup, for there are monsters hidden beneath."
•|•|•

The darkness echoed all around me as I pumped hard on the lever, my breathing short and airy until water is poured into the bucket on the other end.

I kept pumping until the light of the lanterns that some of the other slaves held, revealed that the bucket was finally full. I let out a quiet breath, my eyes reaching that of Havens.

She grinned cheekily, grabbing her now-filled bucket, "perhaps you are good for something Keffer."

I remained silent, watching as she took the bucket, handing it over to Idah, another one of the slaves who whispered a small Thank-you, to which Haven only smiled at. The kind of smile that didn't quite reach her eyes.

Idah's gaze moved to me momentarily but quickly dropped, taking her bucket to the lower bath house.

The other slaves had a lot to fear. From the whips of their masters, from the mere fact that they were residing in the Night Court and yet somehow, Haven was even more frightening.

No slave seemed to want to go against her. I hadn't seen anyone stand up to her viciousness in the two weeks I had been in the Court.

"Keffer," Haven grunted, placing a new bucket beneath the pump.

"Fill it up."

I glanced at the empty bucket, then at the guard who stood watch as we pumped our water.

He was a young boy, maybe a few years older than me, with clear grey eyes, his hair hidden by his helmet. He side-glanced my way for a minute but he too didn't say or do anything.

I went back to pumping, trying to keep my head off Haven's hawk-like eyes. I hoped to bury myself in my thoughts, but I only felt despair. Every morning it was like this. My arms hurt long before I shoveled piles of coal for hours upon hours for Lucy.

I mean... Luciferous.

When the bucket was filled Haven took it, walking to the bathhouse without a further word or even an act of gratitude.

"I-I'll pump mine," Eve stuttered, quickly moving to the pump as I stepped back.

"Thank you" I replied, rubbing my sore arms. I had pumped water for over twenty slaves. Now only the three of us stood here.

Eve, Vale, and I.

She nodded shyly, her eyes shifting to the sky, a small smile on her face, "he's released the sun today," she noted, her hands on the lever.

My eyes traveled to the Night sky above us that had begun to fade slowly- a small smile crowning my face. It was true, the sun was coming out.

It had been a continuous week of Dark Days and now, the sun was finally coming out.

All three of us grinned, Eve pumping out her water, before slipping into the bathhouse.

Vale and I remained, Vale moving to the pump, "I'll do my own too," she offered with a cheeky smile.

I smiled gratefully, glancing at the guard before moving closer to her, my tone hushed, "Any word?"

She, in turn, glanced at the bathhouse.

"Yes actually." She whispered back, whilst I kept my eyes on the guard. Her tone was low as she pumped slowly.

"There are only two entrances," she began. "The one we came in from, and the other is in the garden court. The housemaids say the first one is heavily guarded at all times, but the garden..." she paused seemingly breathlessly.