[5.1] THE ARC ALPHA

•|•|•
"A keffer? Do not speak of those curses unless you wish to be cursed yourself."
•|•|•

[Kayos]

Peace.

The darkness was my home and I reveled in the quietness that accompanied the midnight as I casually flipped through the book I was reading in the dark. Despite having no candlelight to see, I was quite able to read the words as clearly as if it were day, only looking up when the door suddenly opened.

I stared blankly as a shadow moved in, the door shutting a moment after. Pausing I wondered if I had hallucinated the action, gaze focusing on the figure that stood by it, its breaths shallow and quiet, its body shivering slightly.

It wasn't one of my shadow creatures. This one had a heartbeat and a smell- a smell that was covered in stone root it seemed.

My curiosity peaked, eyes unable to leave the figure, for who dared to walk into my sanctuary uninvited?

I narrowed my gaze into the shadows, allowing myself to see more of it until I realized the darkness clung onto the figure as if it were a part of it, a shade of its skin.

My heart froze. Something it never did.

There was only one being I knew that looked like this. My breaths became low as it turned suddenly, feminine eyes searching, until they settled in mine, widening, a hitch in her breath as I held my own.

She blinked and I moved in the darkness. Watching from the safety of the shadows, my heart pounding at the sight in confusion as she turned, panic in her eyes, searching for what she had seen.

She would not be able to find me.

I stared at the frightened girl in the center of the moonlight. She did not look the same as I remembered- she was older, her body more defined, her scent-

Without proper thought, without hold of my actions I moved closer, unable to contain my want, as quiet and as invisible as the shadows I moved behind her, leaning forward and taking a deep breath in, a sigh escaping my lips as my wolf growled within me in familiar want.

She froze amid a breath, her heartbeat slow, too afraid to turn as she bolted out the door, her scent growing dimmer the farther she run but I could not move.

Intoxicated- poisoned- it was all the same. The sudden event made me lose my balance.

I leaned over a hand on the door as I tried to push my wolf back in, fangs out sharp as ever, throbbing and aching as the strongest feeling of absolute want overtook my body, dark veins running up my arms. I turned to the side, eyes set on the moon hanging through the singular open window outside as if laughing at my fate.

"Screw you, Selene."

———————————————————

Pacing.

I hated the action, and yet I did it often.

My study was darkened only a singular candle flickering on the large oak table as I continued pacing- my ears picking up the soft anxious chattering of people in the hallways leading up to my study.

"I-Is there a reason he called for me?" Gregory asked. His voice was stale but low.

"I do not know Master Gregory, he has been quiet all day, but the sun hasn't risen this morning, it can't be good-" Elias replied.

The guard has been Gregory's informant, I know he tells him of whatever I do.

I did not like spies, but I understand fear. It had been around me since my birth. Gregory did not wish to do me harm, he simply feared for his life- he feared that if he breathed the wrong way- or said the wrong things he may not live another day.