[36.1] THE GLOW

•|•|•
If you are to speak of a matter so delicate in his presence, do so with care. Lest you spark the darkness in him and return the world into it's most wicked of year's.
•|•|•

[SHADE SHADOWS]

I FOLLOW after him, and I realize he is waiting for me in an aisle and soon we're treading rows side by side.

Glancing at the stack in his hands, I note his load is many times heavier than mine and yet there is no strain in his grip, and if anything, he looks lost in thought rather than minding too much about how heavy the books were.

"Shade," He begins.

A shiver crosses my spine at this and I raise an eyebrow at the sudden mention of my name.

I am already looking at him, but his gaze is forward.

"Yes?"

I always prefer my name to my title. I know that I like hearing people say my name, but something about the master saying it makes me feel seen.

I acknowledge it is progress. Ever since that talk, he has been careful to say my name.

I like it. I like it a lot.

He seems to be lost in thought, again his eyes have not met mine, still focused ahead.

"I know that you do not have a wolf, but I need to know something."

My eyebrows arch at the sudden statement:

"What is it?"

"There is a glow, one every wolf has," he begins.

My eyebrows arch at this, but keep listening.

"It feels like a pull.." he trails off, eyebrows arching slightly. He grows silent, but his eyes clear as if he can see what he wishes to describe—

"It is warm, and it feels like hope. An assurance that your mate lives. Either far or near, it does not matter. The point is, because of that feeling, you are aware they exist."

I nod along to this thought process.

I know what he speaks of. I heard AMA talking to Vale about it once, year's ago.

"Yes. I know this feeling."

His gaze snaps to mine at my statement, "You know it?"

I smile, nodding, "When I was younger, my sister and I, as outcasts were often bullied by the other pups. They would say mean things. Things I was already accustomed to. Things like..." I trailed off, my gaze skipping, "the curses bestowed upon us for beings Rogues and Keffers. How we would die alone and unwanted. These words did not hurt me. I know that because of what I am, I will never have a mate, but Vale.."

I sighed, "they would tease her. Tell her that because she was with me, my curse will rub off on her and she probably would never have a mate."

Icould feel his eyes on me, " Vale went weeping to AMA. I supposed a fate like mine was too much to bear. I did not hate her for it. She was a child and she was scared. She had a wolf too, one that could not bear the thought of being alone. I did not have one. I did not understand too much about bonds. But it was then I learned about the pull. AMA assured her that one day she would feel it. And then she would know."

He pauses, and I walk a bit before realizing he is not behind me. I turn to look at him.

"And you?" He asks, his breath is heavy and his eyes are serious, "you've never felt it?"

My eyebrows draw together, then my fingers tighten around my books.

What sort of question is that?

I am a keffer. Of course, I cannot feel such a thing.