[6.1] A GIFT OF A CURSE

•|•|•
"You dare look into the eyes of the dark ones? Do you not value your soul?"
•|•|•

[Shade]

~Last night~

I was going to die!

My heart raced and my body quaked in fear as I bolted my way down the stairs, barely remembering that I needed to be quiet.

I couldn't stop, and I wouldn't stop. My legs ran of their own accord from mere instinct, heck, I would rather be caught by guards at this moment than-.

Oh, Selene, I saw him! My brain was a melting mess. I saw the Night Wolf! The bloody Night Wolf!

My mind was racing with dark thoughts, not able to even risk looking back, too scared he might be right behind me though basic logic assured me that if indeed it had been him, he would have caught up with me before I even got to the door. Before I took my next breath.

But I was sure it had been him.

Granted I had not seen his face, but the mere presence in the room, those amber eyes glinting in the shadows, the figure hidden beneath the veil of darkness-

It was the Night Wolf!

Dear Selene I was going to die!

My feet couldn't keep up with how fast I was moving, dodging behind a pillar just before a couple of guards passed by, talking lowly amongst themselves.

As soon as they moved out of sight I bolted toward the Kitchen, moving to the furnace room where I covered myself in ash, from my forehead where my sweat glistened to under my armpits, fingers shaking.

This was the only thing I could think of that would dull the scent of my sweat and hopefully my paralyzing fear.

Peeking through the doorway, my heart a hard bang within me, I bolted back into the kitchen and into the darkness, arriving in the slave quarters.

I sucked in a breath glancing down at the heaps of bodies on the floor fast asleep.

As calmly as I could and despite my inward panic, I sifted through the bodies finding my worn-out mat in the farthest corner, immediately dropping to the floor like a sack of potatoes, petrified to the bone.

"S-Shade?" A voice called out in a low whisper.

My eyes snapped to Vale, who was apparently wide awake, her pale blue eyes staring at me in confusion.

"Where on earth did you go?" She huffed sliding her body toward me.

"Shhhh!" I hushed a finger against my lips, lightly pushing her head down as I spotted a light behind the doorway. My breath hitched, eyes wide as the door creaked open, fear gripping me in anticipation.

Low whispers came from the door and I shut my eyes.

My body shook and my heart was a rampant mess within me, but I tried my best to regulate my breathing

Remaining motionless, I could hear two guards talk in low hushed tones as they looked in, inspecting the room for any non-present slaves I assumed.

One sniffed into the room before sneezing, his voice light and airy.

"Ash... and wet stone," he mumbled as he closed the door.

"Slaves stink."

I let out a loose breath at this finally able to relax for only a moment, turning onto my back, staring into the darkness of the high roof above us, memories of what happened flooded my mind.