[11.1] A TRUST TO BUILD

•|•|•
"They Fear me, mother. I approach and they run for the hills. I speak and they remain silent. I am never denied, never refused. I am a child and a god."
•|•|•

[Kayos]

The moment passed between us as my eyes strained toward the window pane where the morning light shined through.

There was a strange magic I sensed there but it was light enough to be ignored especially when more important things plagued my mind.

The tingles that danced against my fingertips clasped behind my back were one of those things. It was the contact, the strange flow that had enraptured me at that moment, that still had a brazen effect I was not too keen on ever experiencing again.

However, it was action needed, I was taken by surprise at her countered offer.

She wished to be my friend.

She was the only one who had ever asked, and it was a strange realization that she was probably the only one who ever could.

From the moment I was little, I had desired a friend. I marveled at watching the young pups play in the courtyard, with swords, shifting freely. Father had said I was not the kind of wolf to shift for fun... I should have listened to him.

My wolf brought fear and darkness. My aura was too great for the young pups. I couldn't control my Alpha tone and ended up barking orders always even when I didn't mean to.

I had followers, not friends. As I grew, I had subjects. Even my most trusted adviser, Gregory was not a friend. His loyalty came from his wolf, from his instinct to obey and protect his Alpha.

Only the Keffer before me who had no wolf to command, or to feel loyalty, no way to read my aura, no obligation to obey unless by rank could truly be a friend.

She was smart, rank was what separated us in her mind since she had no wolf, and rank is what she took away. I had thought of Keffer's as ordinary mistakes, this one was a smart one it seemed.

My eyes dropped to hers, still fighting the strange sensation that danced around my fingertips aching for more contact. Her eyes remained wide and confused staring down at her open palm.

I glanced down at it. It was filthy... and yet I ached to touch her once more. It was a strange thought; one I knew mirrored the bond Selene placed between us. My eyebrows arched noting she kept staring at it, her lips sparsely open, and her heartbeat sounded almost non-existent.

"Am I supposed to shake it again? I am not aware of the rules of friendship."

Her eyes snapped to me at my statement, eyes wide as if taken out of a trance, but her gaze immediately dropped to below my chin, withdrawing her hand quickly, fingers rubbing her palm, stuttering a reply.

"No... I ... uh-" she paused, swallowing softly, her eyes slowly trailing up to mine, her voice soft and tiny, "I didn't think you would do it."

I held her gaze for a moment, marveling at the darkest shade of night in them, a breath trapped in my chest. I looked away before they could truly bewitch me, nodding, and clenching my jaw.

"I am committed to my study-"

Her gaze had dropped when I glanced back at her, noting an air of disappointment,

"And I have never had a friend before, therefore I am quite curious."

Her eyes flashed to me, a look of disbelief in them, and then the most peculiar thing happened. A small smile echoed against the corners of her lips making my heart stop. No one smiled my way, if not my mother- it was weird but satisfying to see I was the cause of a smile from someone who would be otherwise a stranger.