[35.1] CURTESY

•|•|•
For we wolves covet but one thing, and without it, we become undone.
•|•|•

[SHADE SHADOWS]

I stare at the black covers of the journal, my fingers trace the edges. I know that I am alone, but I still look around as if to ensure I am, before lifting one of the loose boards of the shelves, slipping the journal under the hollow wood on a shelf I am sure to remember.

I cannot walk around with the journal of an old King, but neither can I continue to read those prized pages within the walls of the library.

The possibilities of a master catching me in the act were too far great to risk.

In truth, catching me reading any book may warrant a master's wrath, as I am meant to clean and only clean.

Still, even after understanding all these things, my heart remains greedy and stubborn.

I wish to read more.

For how can he, Xiirian Adonis Prime, the 8th Night Wolf share a loneliness so similar to mine, if he is a king and I am slave and a Keffer?

I had to read more.

I must. It was as if those pages were calling to me.

I covered the book beneath the wood, shelving books above it, before drying my sweaty nervous hands against my skirt, my gaze searching once more to ensure I haven't been seen, although I know I have never set eyes on any other master other than the one I know.

My heart stopped when I spotted Diane, on the floor, staring up at me with her beady eyes.

I let out a relieved breath, coming down the ladder, carefully.

"You scared me," I scolded the black bird, reaching the floor, "But I know you can keep a secret," I grinned.

Diane cawed and I chuckled.

The bird hopped backward as I stepped off, my gaze trailing back up to the hiding spot.

"Just till evening," I told her, my gaze trailing back to the hidden spot.

Diane remained silentuntil I faced the rest of the library.

Shelves still awaited thorough cleaning.

I sighed, glancing down at the raven, "back to work then."

——————————

Dusting and wiping down shelves, transporting stacks and stacks of books, my arms grew tired but at least Diane's caws keep me company.

I had to stop a few times to rest, cursing at the shelves for being this long and stubbornly tall, that I have to take multiple rounds to clear a single shelf.

To make matters worse I am constantly going up and down the ladder as if I am training for some kind of sport. I feel the muscles in my legs tighten.

It would be much easier if I had someone to help me lift the books.

Wiping off the light sheet of sweat that's gathered against my brow, I take down more books, careful to step down from the ladder without breaking my neck.

It is because I am fragile, and unlike other wolves, I do not have a thick skull to aid me.

Breaking my neck is very much possible while doing such a trivial task. I am embarrassed just thinking that dying like that was a possibility for me.

Walking through lines, Diane flew ahead of me.

I make my way back to the master's table, where I place the books once more. I have filled the table with books, thanks to my many, many rounds, but still, I have left an area untouched.