[3.1] ARC WOLVES

•|•|•
"Fear the Night Court, my child, for the sun, never shines too long."
•|•|•

My back hurt as I lay on the weed mat, the cold biting at my exposed body as I stared up mindlessly into the darkness of the stoned roof above me in the slave quarters.

Pushed tears stung the back of my eyes, taking a calming breath out.

My arms were sore as I silently turned to my side, face twisting in pain, eyes meeting that of Vale. She smiled over at me softly, and I returned it despite the space between us.

She slept huddled with the others on a worn-out yet more comfortable mat, whilst I practically slept on the hard ground.

The other slaves had huddled together for warmth, but of course, they left me out, only talking amongst themselves and throwing me disgusted looks before turning off to bed.

I didn't blame them though. And it didn't matter as long as Vale was safe.

I watched her eyes lids close finally falling asleep. It was after I listened to the sounds of her low breaths that I finally succumbed to my sleep, my last thought- AMA.

She had been alone when the Beta died and now that we were gone, I hoped she was all right without us.

When I dreamed, I repeated my nightmares.

The monster in the shadows with eyes of red, the soft voice that commanded me to find my Alpha, and finally the fields of ash healing back to life in the place where day and night meet.

————

Slaves are supposed to wake up bright and early, just as the sun creams the sky, still overpowered by the night- but that was not the case in the Night Court.

"Heavens above!" Someone gasped, her tone shaky.

"I-it is as they say," Eve stated, as the candles flickered in the dark.

I turned slightly, recognizing the girl. She was the same one who had been with us in the cage, her hands in prayer.

She had thin brown hair and a heart-shaped face. Certainly, tiny compared to the rest of us, and her voice was soft, as soft as her hazel eyes.

"What now Eve?" Haven grunted, her dark eyes settling on the shy girl who stood frozen, frail body rattling softly in the cold of the morning.

Haven was Eve's opposite.

She too had been in the same cage as us. Her cut lip had healed significantly in the last three days, to a scar, however, she still held bitterness in her eyes I had never seen.

I overheard the other slaves talking in hushed tones yesterday, she had come from Greenwood Pack, one of the bigger packs in the Night Wolf territory.

I heard rogues there were treated differently, harsher than what Vale and I had experienced in our small pack. The things I heard were done made me shiver. For if they could be that merciless to a Rogues daughter, what more a Keffer?

Eve pointed out the window with a shaky hand and my eyes trailed to it.

"The never-ending night..." she trailed off.

"That's because the sun isn't out yet. You seriously can't be that stupid," Haven snapped rolling her eyes as she neatly wrapped her hair up in a bun.

My eyebrows arched at this, walking towards the window and staring out into the night, my heart beating strangely at the sight, turning round to face the other slaves in the quarter.