[14.1] A FRIENDSHIP TO YEILD

•|•|•
"What do you know about trust young wolf? You can only trust your soul for she can never betray you."
•|•|•

[Shade Shadows]

"How did it go? W-What did he say? Don't tell me he-"

"Shhhh, " I hushed softly into the lingering darkness, stopping Vales' ramble.

My eyes fluttered open, staring at the roof of the stoned castle in the Slave's Quarters. I turned from my back to my side, my eyes meeting that of Vale a few bodies away.

Only a single streak of moonlight illuminated our bodies through the open window allowing us to see each other.

A hand rested over my heart as I stared at her blankly, ignoring the anxious look in her eyes.

I was way too gone in my thoughts. Moments I had lived throughout the day kept replaying on repeat.

"He-" I began, a breath escaping at the word.

I thought back to what had occurred between the master and me. "He went along with it."

Her eyes widened, blinking rapidly.

"He said yes?" She huffed in disbelief.

I hummed a quiet yes.

I was just as baffled as she was but I had no desire to wake up the other sleeping slaves. It was at least an hour past midnight and everyone else had gone to sleep but Vale and me.

"He was genuine then? True to his word?" She called over in a whisper.

I flipped over to my back, taking the study of the roof again.

My thoughts slipped back to what had occurred whilst my fingers traced the inside of my palm remembering how he shook my hand.

He had agreed to become a friend despite all conceivable logic. Even going as far as to seal our trust with a secret. He had no obligation to do that either and yet he did.

I was still confused about what had occurred. How easy it had been to talk to him after that shake of a hand. It was like a promise that I was safe. That I was free to speak.

Logically, it was foolish to feel that way by a mere handshake and a few words spoken which I had no idea if they were true or a mere well thought out lie.

He could have just conjured a secret to tell me and yet, despite knowing the possibility something about the blatant honesty in his eyes reassured me all he said was true. Either that or he was the master of deceit.

Everything had seemed to be working according to plan and then...

Then he walked away abruptly. My eyebrows arched in the dark.

"Shade?"

"It's the first day Vale, I can't be sure." I replied with a soft sigh.

I twisted my head slightly in her direction though my eyes kept to the ceiling, "You should rest now. Dawns almost here."

I knew she was about to say something more but this was neither the time or the place, and I wanted to be in my thoughts for a while.

"But-"

"Sleep well, Vale."

She paused at this, letting out a frustrated huff and then muttered something incoherent beneath her breath. I heard a light shuffling which indicated she had turned over.

I waited for her movements to stop before I let my mind wander.

I still couldn't believe that I could be this lucky. That the plan I had never thought would work played out so smoothly.