[17.1] THE OTHER MATE

•|•|•
"The Ever Night has ended but another Night Wolf reigns. It is only a matter of time before fate decides to weave with the same strings."
•|•|•

[Kayos]

I moved out of my sanctuary, the doors closing behind me as I treaded the length of the dark hallways.

A sound caused me to pause near an intersection, spotting Alchest as he crawled out of the shadows. He moved toward me in the empty hallway, crawling up my shoulder and whispering his secrets in a low hiss.

I remained passive as he informed me of everything he had learned, my expression hardening with every unlikeable news he had gathered, till the very last.

I growled at what he had said, my jaw ticking. Alchest scampered away sensing my growing irritation. My wolf gripping the edge, eyes shining those deadly embers.

She would always find a way to get under my skin it seemed.

A rage forming deep within my wolf I stormed off in the direction of her quarters, guards scurry out of my way, their eyes glued to the floor in fear of meeting my gaze.

I pushed the double doors open,

"Why has the date been moved?" I growled, trying to keep my tone from sounding more deadlier than I intended.

The five maids surrounding my mother immediately stood, bowing and scampering off in no less than ten seconds.

Mother held a mirror in her hands, calmly studying her reflection, looking back at me through it, "ah the rumor has finally reached you."

"Why have you changed the date?" I gritted my patience a single flame in the midst of a hurricane.

She turned back to puckering her lips, examining her reflection, "The date has not been changed, I merely spread the rumor. You can calm down now Kayos."

My eyebrows drew in slightly at the statement, my wolf calmer, irritation booming instead, "Why?"

"To bring you here, why else?" She sighed, placing the hand mirror down and getting to her feet as she turned toward me.

"I told a maid, who told a guard, who told another and the rest is history," she sighed with a shrug, "I knew your demons or shadows or whatever you call them would pick it up sooner or later and report back."

"You went through all that trouble?" I huffed with a slight eye roll. My mother was the queen of drama.

"It worked didn't it?" She retorted, "and I wouldn't have to have gone through all that trouble if you simply replied to my summons." Her gaze narrowed on me, "I've sent many letters and you've answered to none. I've called upon you and you haven't been here in nearly three weeks."

I let out a sigh, walking passed her to the open window, "I've needed some time alone."

"Time alone? When are ever not alone?" She echoed, and I could feel her gaze on me. When I didn't reply she let out a sigh of her own.

"I am aware that you've been trapped in your sanctuary for a few days now which would have worried me but the sun has been in the sky for a week now so I know you're not in a grave mood."

My eyes trailed from her to the window, my gaze falling first on the courtyard below then trailing upwards slowly to the tower of my sanctuary, staring at it for a moment as she talked.

"It was your father's favorite place too. I will never truly know why." She mused, "but as long as it helps calm you, I find no fault in it."

I hummed at this, absent-minded as I spotted a raven flying out of the high window, getting lost in the bright sky. My eyebrows arched at this for a moment, again the light feel of magic reaching my senses.