[20.1] A KEFFERS DREAM

•|•|•

"Even the faintest whispers are carried by the wind. Listen, for the wind has many secrets."

•|•|•

[SHADE SHADOWS]

The slaves whispered amongst themselves as I walked in. As usual, eyes ventured my way accompanied by light scoffs.

My gaze traveled to my sisters whose eyes rested on me momentarily sending me a discreet nod, before returning to the conversation whispered amongst the group of slaves.

I made my way to my secluded area knowing I would remain unbothered.

Sitting by the ledge of the window where the cold wind blew in, under the gentle moonlight, Glancing around, I carefully took out the map. My eyes trailed over it, my feeble fingers trembling, before tucking it back into my sleeve.

I was lucky today.

From finding the map to Barnabas' mysterious turnaround. I had no reason to trust the drunk, he could turn us in for all I know and get a reward.

It was simply not wise to rely on him.

Sure, it would be easier to travel to Yulis with a castle worker successfully covering the stench of a rogue's scent, but it remained quite plain that he could not be trusted. In this equation, I could only trust my sister and she could only trust me.

I could not risk or rely our freedom on anyone else.

Nevertheless, Barnabas was a good source of information and if indeed he wanted to help, I could get some more information from him. He was a worker that ventured freely out of the Night Court. He knew other ways I was sure.

I simply had to be careful. I could not confess all my plans.

Even if I was a fool for freedom I could not be that foolish.

"Slaves!" a guard suddenly barked causing all of us to look at the two guards standing in the doorway.

"Blow out your candles! The Night was meant for sleep," he growled.

My gaze traveled from the guard barking orders, to the silent one standing behind him. Blue eyes stared back at me and my eyebrows arched.

I had seen those eyes before, somewhere.

The candles went out and so did my vision of those eyes, darkness encircling us.

It took a while for me to maneuver around the now-settled wolves, bumping into a few who growled back at me in a string of colorful curses.

Had I had a wolf, vision in the night would have been easier for me. Instead, I was as blind as a bat until I got to my reed mat.

I laid across the rough surface staring at the stone roof. Blinking for a moment. Memories from the day drained through me, of Diane-that mysterious bird, and something even more mysterious.

Of the master who was not afraid to be friends with a Keffer.

My eyebrows arched in the darkness. He was very coarse and— blunt I dare say. He was certainly arrogant and had no feelings of selflessness. No- not altruistic in the least. However, there was something -–kind in his eyes?