[21.1] A DYING HOPE

•|•|•

"For if the world was to end. It would surely end by Night."

•|•|•

[KAYOS]

My eyes opened slowly, and yet it was as if they were still closed. No light to reveal if it was day, but I needed no light to know that.

Darkness of the blackest kind filled the throne room, and the throne itself felt as cold as ice beneath me, my fingers stiff around the arm of the iron throne. I had spent a night on the throne as I had done so many times before. My body felt stiff, but I relished the pain.

I could feel shadows around me, whispering things that made me shut my eyes once more, reaching out for the darkness around me.

Despair is what I felt, and despair was what poisoned the air, what manifested as the darkness around me and cursed the sun from shining, and yet I had to confess there was a certain peace in this despair.

I took in a deep breath, relinquishing the air from between my lips, and the shadows around me fought for that breath of life.

A shadow crept up my arm, and I gingerly turned as Alchest perched by the high of my throne.

"What is it you wish to say?" I asked lazily, feeling the shadow move to right above my shoulder, where he perched once more.

"Ressst, massster," he hissed softly.

I hummed at this, closing my eyes for a bit. I turned my head forward to where I knew the doors that opened to the throne room faced, though there was nothing I could see in the darkness, typically because there was nothing to see but darkness.

"I rested a full night and now I have brought the night with me to the day." I replied in a low whisper, "perhaps it should stay for another, and another....and another."

My wolf growled within me showing its frustration. I gritted my teeth trying to reel him in as I have done many times, my eyes heating beneath my skin and I knew they were glowing their deadly embers.

My wolf argued within me. A taunt of mockery. Of weakness.

"I can not stop it. It will happen." I urged, gritting my teeth.

My wolf growled within me and a streak of lightning flashed in the night sky illuminating the empty throne room for a flash of a second, shadows scampering to the corner.

I groaned out loud as I felt him wish to tear me apart, throwing myself forward, my fingers stiff against the arm of the throne.

"You think I wish this?" I gritted, my teeth clenched, "To mate with another? We have no hope-"

My wolf would simply see no reason. Only heating the battle within me. I jutted forward, gripping the throne tighter, determined to grip him in, but his anger could not be quenched this time, and I moved off the throne, hunched over, my body heavy for my feet.

"Masssster," Alchest hissed, as I grunted, trying to stop my transformation in time.

"Stay!" I growled back at him, stopping his approach. He scampered backward, whilst I stumbled into the middle of the throne room.

If I turned in this castle, chaos would reign. I was not a pup that would merely damage a room anymore, the spikes on my back were deadlier, my wolf larger and his anger and thirst for blood unquenchable.

Darkness gathered from all corners of the throne and I fell to my knees as my wolf fought to be loose. The doors of the throne room remained shut and I could only hear heartbeats a few halls away, scampering in the opposite direction, moving farther.