[73] Love Wish

Isabel looked at the surroundings around her. She wanted to ask Ken what was the name of the temple where they were standing at but she preferred to keep quiet in case he had any surprise for her. She didn’t want to spoil his plans. They went inside the temple. She looked at the shrine of a woman wearing a wig.

“Do you know who that woman is?”

“Let me guess. Your ancestor?”

“Maybe. She’s no other than the famous Mae Nak Prakanong.”

“Finally I’ve met her. Nice to meet you madam.”

“She’s also glad to see you.”

Isabel smiled. She loved Ken’s sense of humor.

“Do you love me Isabel?”

Ken held Isabel’s hand. 

“I love you with all my heart and soul.”

“What’s your wish for me?”

“I wish that we will be together forever and nothing can take us apart.”

“Wish granted.”

Ken snapped his finger.

“Wow! That was fast.”

“From this moment on, nothing can take us apart.”

“What’s your wish for me?”

“I wish that all your wishes will come true.”

“Ah, that is so sweet, my love. Your wish is my command.”

Isabel kissed Ken’s cheek.

“Thank you.”

Ken kissed Isabel’s hand.

“Did you hear that Madam Mae Nak? You have to grant our wish. We’ve come all the way here from the Philippines just to see you?”

“Oh, I didn’t know that she is also a genie.”

Ken laughed.

“Well, sort of. After the popular epic love story of Mae Nak and Pee Mak, people believed that whenever lovers visit her shrine and wish that they will be together forever, their wish will come true.”

“Really? Maybe they only spread that superstitious belief to promote tourism in this place.”

“Sometimes wishes do come true when you strongly believe that it will happen. That’s why miracles can happen.”

Ken touched Isabel’s face with both of his hands.

“Bear this in your heart and mind, Isabel: there will be no other woman who can ever take your place in my heart. I may die a thousand deaths and live a thousand lives. But my heart will always ache for that missing rib. And that missing rib is you. You are the only puzzle that completes me. I love you forever.”

Isabel was touched with Ken’s words. She smiled despite of the tears that’s threatening to fall from her eyes. She didn’t want to cry. She was the happiest woman in the world. She wanted to show him how happy she was without having to cry for joy.

“I love you too Ken. I will always wait for you no matter what. There will be no other man in my lfe except you. Thank you for coming back into my life.”

“I love you three Isabel.”

“Oh, I love you four Ken.”

“I love you a thousand and million times.”

“Oh my God. I love you to infinity and beyond. Ha-ha” 

Ken and Isabel hugged each other. They were oblivious to the people around them. They walked around the temple. They took pictures and videos as a keepsake. They went back to the train station.

“Where are we going next?”

“Brace yourself for our next stop.”

“Oh my love. You’re making me nervous. My heart almost skip a beat. I don’t think I am prepared for our next destination.”

“Don’t worry. Everything will be fine. Just relax and be yourself.”

“Ok, fine. I trust you.”

Isabel rested her head on Ken’s shoulder.

They didn’t talk for the rest of the trip. She preferred to keep quiet rather than asked a lot of questions to relax her mind. They went down to Soi 8 Pattaya. 

“I think you’re doing just fine.”

Ken fixed a stray hair behind Isabel’s hair.

“Do you think so?”

“Yeah.”

Ken and Isabel took a motorcycle taxi in going to Pattaya Beach Road.

“We’re here.”

Ken paid the motorcycle driver.

“Take a deep breath and relax. I’m 99% sure they’re going to like you.”

“What if they will not like me?”

“That will leave them no choice.”

Ken pressed the doorbell. Isabel made a sign of the cross behind him. She prayed that everything will work out fine. An old butler opened the gate for him.

“Welcome back sir. How’s your studies in the Philippines?” The butler greeted Ken in Thai.

“Very good.” Ken replied in Thai.

“Please come in, sir. I’m sure your parents will be happy to see you.”

“Thank you.”

“I see you brought someone with you.”

“I would like you to meet my girlfriend Isabel.”

“Hi Isabel. Nice to meet you and welcome to our home.”

The old butler extended his hand to Isabel. She didn’t understand even a single word he’s saying. She looked at Ken for interpretation.

“I’m sorry, Isabel. I forgot to tell you that our butler doesn’t know how to speak English. Anyway, I would like you to meet Anuman. He’s been with our family even before I was born.”

“Nice to meet you Mr. Anuman.”

Isabel shook the butler’s hand.

Ken interpreted what Isabel said in Thai. The butler smiled a toothless grin.

“Please come inside.” The butler said.

“Let’s get inside so that you can see my parents.”

“Ok.”

“Please have a seat first while I’ll call your parents. What would you like to drink madam?”

The butler ushered them to a carved wooden sofa.

“What would you like to drink, Isabel?” Ken interpreted.

“Water is fine.”

“Just give us water please.”

“Ok.”

Isabel’s hands were wet. She was nervous. She looked around the house. She noticed that it was very spacious. It was very unlike Emile’s house which was very small but cozy. Emile and Ken might have lived different lives but their attitudes were still the same.