[14] The Pocket Watch

“How are you doing, Isabel?”

I was startled when I heard Matilda’s voice. I was surprised when she mentioned my name. I wondered how she knew my name. I didn’t know where she came from and what her life was all about. She suddenly appeared like a mushroom in times that you wouldn’t expect to see her. I felt like she was sent from another world to console my broken heart.

I stood up and acknowledged Matilda’s presence.

“I’m still trying to recover from Emilio’s death.”

“What did Emilio promised to you before he died?”

“He promised that he’ll come back for me.”

“Do you trust him?”

“Always. He never failed to fulfil his promises.”

“Then, you have to trust that he will come back for you. You just have to wait. He will fulfill his promise to you. Just don’t lost hope. Emilio doesn’t want to see you suffer. He wanted you to be strong and to prepare yourself for his return.”

I couldn’t comprehend exactly what she was trying to tell me. We couldn’t resurrect the dead except during the time of Jesus Christ. I didn’t know if I’m going to believe in every words that Matilda told me. But there’s only one thing I knew for sure, Emile would come back for me to continue our love story.

“I have something to give you Isabel.”

Matilda handed me an antique golden pocket watch.

“Please accept this gift from me. This will serve as a timeless keepsake for you and Emilio.”

I accepted another exquisite gift from her. I stared at the golden pocket watch for several minutes. I was mesmerized by the sophisticated pocket watch which seemed like it came right out from great-grandfather’s treasure box. It has an intricate floral decoration on the bright gold double hunter case. The case features inscribed roman numerals, plus a viewing window to view the intricate 17 jewel movement within. Its case is approximately 2 inches. 

The watch chain was made of excellent quality brass with satin gold tone finish. It was approximately 14.5 inches long.

I didn’t know where she got the expensive looking things she gave to me. Most people said that she was a madwoman but she didn’t look like one for me. She was the sanest person I had ever known so far. Her dirty appearance was very opposite to the way she spoke.

“What’s this for?” I asked without looking at her. I was occupied in figuring out the other functions of the watch.

“I want you to keep it. That might look like an ordinary watch for you but time will come that it will serve as a key to your forever kind of love.”

I still couldn’t comprehend what she was talking about. I was really planning to keep the watch because it was very exquisite. Maybe one day it might serve its purpose.

Matilda disappeared before I could ask her further questions. I didn’t know where she went. I was supposed to ask her how I could use it as a key to my forever kind of love. Maybe she wanted me to figure it out myself.

“Were you able to figure out how to use the watch?” 

“No. It cannot even tell the time because its hands don’t turn. But I still keep it until now. Who knows it might really be a key to my forever kind of love.” 

I visited my father in the mountain. I didn’t have anyone to turn to. My father accepted me unconditionally and he allowed me to live with him.

I lost my baby on the third month of my pregnancy. Maybe I lost the only child we had out of grief. I was having a hard time recovering from Emile’s death. It was double the injury when I lost the two people I love. My child was supposed to be my only living memory of Emile. But fate took its toll to my only reason to live. 

“Oh dear. That must be so hard for you.” 

It was my father who consoled me all throughout the darkest days of my life.

I was too consumed with my grief. I didn’t notice that my father’s health had deteriorated slowly. How selfish it was of me to think only of myself without noticing my father’s agony!

My father died a month after my baby’s death. He died a poor but a happy man. It showed on his face as he died peacefully in his sleep. 

Nothing could describe how dark my life was during those moments. I lost all the people I love. I longed to die to be reunited with my loved ones in heaven.

Instead of spending the rest of my life lamenting the lost of my husband, child, and father, I went to the Children’s Haven Orphanage to help take good care of abandoned, neglected and exploited children, needy women, families, older and disabled people.

“Wow! That was very generous of you to dedicate your time and energy to the people in need.”

“That’s the only way to occupy my time.” 

“By the way, where did you finish your study?” 

“I finished Bachelor of Science in Business Management at University of Cebu.”

“Wow! Rich girl. You must be business-minded.”

“I was supposed to manage our business but my father sold our hacienda to pay his debt.”

Instead of grieving over the loss of my father, husband and child, I dedicated my life in serving the abandoned children. That was my job for forty years. I didn’t marry again nor had a boyfriend. There would be no one else who could replace Emile in my heart.

“Amazing! I hope I will also find my true love someday.” 

“Of course, you will find your true love my dear. Don’t you know that before we are born, God has already set each of our destiny? He already paired each one of us. Some of us just failed to acknowledge the other half that God had sent to us. That’s why there are some who are still single until the day they died. I know there’s someone out there who’s destined for you my dear. Maybe he hasn’t arrive yet because God wants you to pass the board exam first before you’ll have a boyfriend.”

“That’s very funny. Maybe that is God’s plan for me. Thank you Isabel, you light up my day today.” 

“It’s already 8:00 in the evening. Let’s go home. Your prince charming might already be waiting for you in your apartment.” 

Pretty’s day was brightened after hearing Isabel’s poignant love story. She felt consoled to her very soul. She saw the silver lining once again behind the dark clouds.

“Thank you Isabel so much for making my day. You are my inspiration.”

“No problem, my dear. It’s my pleasure. You’re like a daughter to me.”