[45] A Romantic View from the Top

“Pretty babe, do you think I’m an idiot for hoping that Emile and I will be reunited once again?”

“There’s nothing wrong in falling in love with Emile’s doppelganger. If I will be in your situation, I will also drool at Ken.”

Pretty ironed Isabel’s hair into gorgeous curls. She also applied make-up on her face.

“Ken will surely drool at you.”

“Watch your mouth, Pretty.”

“Come on granny. We are now in modern times. If you want to live your own era, then stop turning the hands of your watch and stay as an old woman.”

“I’ve never been reprimanded before by someone who’s decades younger than me.”

“You deserve to be reprimanded because you don’t only rejuvenate physically but also mentally.”

“Your meanness never cease to amaze me.”

“Of course. I will never be your close friend not unless I reprimanded you many, many times.”

“Truly, that’s what friends are for nowadays, huh.”

“Exactly.”

“Thank you Pretty for making me beautiful tonight.”

“You’re always beautiful even without makeup.”

“Thank you.”

Isabel hugged Pretty.

“No problem. Now my granny has turned into a young lady. Good luck to your date.”

“I promise, I’ll be a little bit reserve this time.”

“You don’t have to be reserve. This is already the modern time. Be daring.”

“I can’t just figure out why this modern generation is too naughty.”

They heard the doorbell rang.

“Here comes your prince charming from a land so far, far away with his white horse. Watch out because he will sweep you off your feet.”

“Nice one, poet.”

“Hurry. Your prince is waiting. Make sure you’ll be back before 12:00 midnight, Cinderella. ”

“Yes, my fairy godmother.”

“Good luck.”

“Thank you.”

Isabel opened the door.

“Good evening, Teacher Isabel.”

Isabel was surprised to see Ken wearing jeans and a plain white t-shirt. She was expecting him to be wearing something formal like long-sleeve polo and a slacks or maybe a tuxedo. It took her a while to fix herself. She almost turned the mall upside down just to find the perfect whole dress for her date. She wanted everything to go smoothly.   

“Good evening, Ken.”

“Flowers for you madam.”

Shit. Isabel hated to be called madam especially by Ken. She preferred to be called by her first name.

“Thank you, Ken.”

Isabel accepted the flowers.

“You’re welcome.”

Isabel followed Ken outside. 

“I’m sorry, teacher but I don’t have a car today. Is it okay for you if we’ll go to the Tops with my motorcycle?”

Isabel wanted to drop the teacher. She’s annoyed whenever Ken would call her teacher. He wanted him to just call her Isabel.

“That’s fine.”

Isabel didn’t thought that Ken was romantic. Busay was a very cold place. It would be understandable if she would hold on tight to him while he was driving. She felt excited and nervous at the same time. She didn’t want to blow her chance of being reunited back to the love of her life.

Ken handed the helmet to Isabel. She climbed on the back of the motorcycle.

“Are you ready, teacher?”

“I am born ready, my dear.”

Ken revved the engine. Isabel hold on to his leather jacket.

“Don’t be afraid to hold on tight. I promise I won’t bite.”

Isabel hugged Ken from behind.

“That’s good. Can you hold on a little bit tighter?”

Isabel didn’t think of her propriety anymore. She hugged Ken tightly as if she might lost him in a blink of an eye.

They left at 6:35 PM. Pretty watched them from the window. She prayed that their date would be a success. She also prayed for Isabel to be able to come back before 12 midnight.

They stopped at Lantaw Busay Restaurant.

“Ever since I arrived here in the Philippines, I’ve never been to any Filipino Restaurant.”

“We just arrive to the right place.”

Ken approached the usherette from the entrance.

“A table for two please.”

“This way, please.”

Ken and Isabel followed the usherette. They were seated in the lobby where they could take a glimpse of the breathtaking view of Cebu City.

“You know what Ken, this is the first time that I’ve been here in Lantaw, Busay.”