[16] Waiting for the Sweetest Mango to Ripen

Pretty and Isabel had their mother and daughter dinner date at an Italian Restaurant. 

“So how’s your party at JJ’s house?” Isabel asked.

“We ate, sang, and danced.”

“Is that all you did?”

“Uh-huh.”

“It seemed like your mind is in another planet. Is there something that’s bothering you?”

This time, Pretty looked at Isabel in the eyes. She squeezed her hand and said. “I think I have a crush on JJ’s brother Leo.”

“What made you say you have a crush on him?”

“I like him because he is the type of guy who has an ambition. He is single, has a stable job, an engineer, and he also has his own car.”

“You have good taste.”

“How did you know that I have a good taste? Have you met JJ’s brother before? I mean I haven’t mentioned yet that he’s handsome.”

“Oh, is he handsome?”

“Hmm. Not really. He has fair skin, tantalizing eyes, tall enough for me in a height of 5’8”. His appearance is just good enough for you to be proud of him to introduce to your family and friends.”

“Pretty, my dear. The sex appeal of a person doesn’t only rely on his looks alone. What’s the point of choosing handsome men with no principles? Handsome ain't pay your bills, baby. If a man has ambition, constantly craves for success, and takes responsibility, then he is handsome and has a very strong sex appeal.”

“You have a point, Isabel. But why did you chose Emile? He’s not the ambitious type nor the one who craves for success?”

“You can’t have everything in life, sweetie. Emile might not be the ambitious type nor the one who constantly craves for success but he is the type who willingly takes responsibility. And above all, he loves me unconditionally. How about your ideal man Leo, does he love you?”

“I’m not so sure.”

“You see. You’re not even sure if he likes you.”

“He asked me before I went home to go with him inside JJ’s bedroom.”

“Did you go with him?”

“Yes.”

“That’s a bit stupid of you.”

“We didn’t have sex.”

“Really?”

“We were startled when JJ knocked on the door. I just went home so that they would not catch us doing something immoral.”

“Did he ask for your number?”

“No or maybe he forgot to ask my number.”

“I don’t think that he really likes you because if he really does, he should have taken the time to know you first. From what you told me, it is apparent that he only wants your cherry. Just take your time Pretty, baby. You’re still young. I’m pretty sure God has someone better in store for you than Leo.”

“I already found my ideal man and that is Leo. Look at me, Isabel. I will be 27 next month. I’m still a virgin up until now. I felt like a loser for missing the fun while almost everyone is doing it, even teenagers. I’d rather be a single mother than an old maid. How long will I wait for that special someone to come into my life? This is my opportunity. I can’t afford to miss it. I like Leo. He has everything I’m looking for in a man. If I’m going to let this opportunity slip by, someone will surely take my place.”

“You know that you’re like a daughter to me. Sex is a sacred thing. A woman’s virginity is very precious because you can only give it once. I don’t think that Leo deserves to receive your virginity. A woman’s first sex must be special and not just for the sake of curiosity. So you must give up your virginity to your special someone who will also love you back and will treat you like a princess and not just to a man who has a stable job, a car, and a diploma. Yes I agree with you that opportunities are seldom labelled. But you have to think many times before you’ll do something that you will regret later.”

“Sometimes we are regretful on the things that we didn’t do rather than on the things we did.”

“I got your point, dear. What if you’ll give up your precious virginity to Leo and bear a child, and meet the right guy at a later time?”

“I don’t know what the future holds for me. If I will not do something, nothing will happen to me.”

“It is not a guarantee that a man will fall in love with you if you’re going to give up your virginity to him nor it is a guarantee that he will stay with you if you will give him a child. Men’s emotions are different from women’s. They have the power to separate sex from love. It’s very difficult to persuade a man to love a woman. If a man doesn’t like a woman, he doesn’t really like that woman. Some might get lucky to make a man to fall in love with her. But there are some cases that a man develops affection to a woman who likes him.”