[30] Isabel and Carlos Miguel's Unexpected Reunion

“You can never fathom the loneliness I felt deep down inside.”

“Speaking of loneliness, I have been lonely for 25 years. So tell me how you can fathom a lonely single life for 25 years. At least you already found your true love once in your lifetime not like me. I have never met a man that fills the emptiness inside me.”

They heard the creaking of the stairs indicating that someone was approaching towards them.

“Come on, Isabel you have to stand up now before someone will see you crying.”

Isabel stood up immediately and wipe the tears from her eyes. Armand opened the door of the tree house.

“There you are girls. We need to go back to the manor now before dusk.”

“Yes, we’ll follow.” Pretty said.

It was already 6:00 in the evening when they arrived in the manor.

They built a campfire at the back of the manor after taking their supper.

“The tree house at the side of the falls is very beautiful. It looks like the Taj Mahal in India. Who built it, Armand?” Leo asked.

“It was built by a farmer named Emilio before martial law. They said that he built that house for his lovely wife Isabel. Isabel ran away from her wedding to my grandfather Carlos Miguel.”

Isabel was horrified to know that Armand was Carlos Miguel’s grandson. No wonder he was a womanizer. It ran from their blood. She wanted to correct him. He didn’t run away from her wedding to Carlos Miguel but from the disgusting dirty old man Armando. Maybe after a long time, the details had been mixed up after the gossip was passed from one person to another. 

“Poor Emilio was lucky to be chosen by this rich beautiful maiden instead of my rich grandfather.”

“Where are they now?” Amanda asked.

“Emilio died during the martial law. His wife didn’t return to their house anymore. Nobody knows where she is now.”

“What a pity!” Patty said.

“According to folklore, the ghost of Emilio keeps on haunting the tree house waiting for his wife’s return.”

“Maybe he love his wife so much that he keeps on haunting the place waiting for her return.” Nelly said.

“Maybe.” 

Isabel couldn’t take her emotions anymore. She excused herself from the group to contemplate on her own. She wanted to be alone. She went to the fountain on the other side. She sat at the side of the fountain and looked at the room above. The room that she was looking up used to be her room before but someone was already occupying it. Its lights were still on. An old man sitting on a wheelchair went outside the room and stayed on the veranda. The old man looked at her with deep longing. She looked down and turned her head. She was disgusted by the way the old man looked at her. She remembered the disgusting dirty old man Armando. She didn’t dared to look up again. She turned her back. She stared at the dripping of the water in the fountain. She heard the noise of wheels approaching towards her. When she turned around, she saw the old man on the wheelchair in front of her. She looked at his deep-set eyes. She couldn’t be mistaken. The old man was Carlos Miguel. He stared back at her.

“Isabel.”

“Carlos Miguel.”

Isabel ran back towards the group.

“Excuse me, guys. I’m sorry for the interruption but I need to go.”

“Where are you going?” Armand asked.

“I need to go home now.”

“You cannot go home now. It’s already late in the evening. Besides, there’s no more bus.”

Isabel looked at her watch. It was already 11:00 in the evening. She couldn’t stay in the manor any longer especially that she would be sharing one bedroom with the rest of the girls. 

“No, you don’t have to worry. I already made a room reservation in a nearby hotel.”

“No, I can’t let you go out in there. It’s too dangerous. It will be my responsibility if something bad will happen to you.”

“That’s fine Armand. I’ll accompany her. Isabel has insomnia. She is having a hard time sleeping especially if the place is new to her. We already have a room reservation. It will be more dangerous if you won’t let us go now. It’s getting late at night.”

“Are you sure about it? I can take you to your hotel if you want to.”

“No, thank you. We can manage ourselves. I appreciate your hospitality, Armand.” Isabel interrupted.

“Okay, fine. If that’s what you really want.”

Isabel took her things inside her room. She was accompanied by Pretty.

“Where exactly are you planning to go?”

“I wanted to sleep in the tree house where we used to live with Emilio.”

“Are you crazy?”

“I don’t care if all of you will call me crazy. No one can stop me now. Did you hear what Armand narrated to you earlier? Emilio’s ghost keeps on haunting the place waiting for my return. This is now my chance to go back to his loving arms.”

“You are really crazy. Ghosts are not real.”

“I know. I wanted to think that it is real even for a short time. I don’t care if I see his ghost or not. All I wanted to feel is his presence in that house we shared. I don’t care if I’ll die in my sleep, I wanted to die in that house if that’s what it takes to be with Emilio again.”

“I don’t know what type of love potion that Emilio used to poison your mind. Your love for him is undying. If that’s what you want, then go ahead. I’ll just accompany you in going there. If you want to, I can sleep beside so you will have someone to call in case you need something.”

“No, Pretty. You already did a lot of favor for me. I want you to enjoy your stay here with our classmates. In fairness, you have good taste with men. The Leo that you were talking about is good-looking.”

“Oh, Isabel. You’re making me laugh.”

“Go for it. The night is still young. Strike the flame while the iron is hot. I wish you all the happiness in life.”

“Thank you.”

Pretty and Isabel hugged each other.

“Are you sure you don’t want me to drive you to your hotel?” Armand asked.

“Just don’t bother, son. I already booked a taxi going to my hotel.” Isabel said.

“Did you just call me son?”

“Yes.”

“You remind me of someone. She’s our 60-year-old classmate, Isabel. She also calls me son. And it’s just a coincidence that you two have the same names.”

“Oh, I see.”

“Thank you so much Armand.” Pretty said.

“Thank you also for coming. You take good care of your cousin. And you also take good care.”

“Leo should be the one who will take good care of me.” Pretty joked.

“There you go again, naughty girl. If ever you will change your mind, just don’t hesitate to come back especially you Pretty because Leo is waiting for you.”

They waited for Armand to close the gate before they parted.

“Take care.” Pretty whispered.

“You also take good care. God bless you.” 

They hugged each other. Pretty watched Isabel disappeared in the dark before she went back inside the manor.