[78] Matilda's Connection to Isabel

Isabel picked the photo album. It was a vintage photo album. She enjoyed looking at the black and white pictures. Each picture showed a happy memory of Rodel’s childhood together with his family. She was surprised when she saw the black and white picture of Matilda smiling radiantly. 

“Who is this woman?”

Rodel stopped washing the dishes. He sat beside Isabel and looked at the picture of the woman she pointed.

“Her name is Matilda. She is the sister of my great-grandmother.”

Isabel was enlightened. She finally understood why Rodel served not only a guide to their destination but a guide to their epic love story.

“Where is she now?”

“She died scores of years ago.”

Isabel noticed the pocket watch Matilda wore as a pendant on a necklace. It was exactly the same pocket watch she received from her when Emile died.

“The ancient pocket watch looks stunning.”

“I don’t know where that watch is or who bequeathed it. They said that my great-grandaunt Matilda received it from her Japanese boyfriend as a keepsake. Her boyfriend went back to Japan without knowing that she was pregnant. She died after giving birth to her son Esteban.”

The name Esteban rang a bell on Isabel’s ears.

“What happened to Esteban after her mother died?”

“My great-grandmother took good care of him. He was very hard-working and studious. He was able to own a hacienda at the age of 25. He married a beautiful woman. His wife died after giving birth to their beautiful daughter Isabel.”

Isabel tried to hold back her tears. She looked down and pretended that she’s looking at the pictures to hide her teary eyes. She turned the other page and saw the black and white picture of her sitting on the lap of her father. As far as she could remember, she was 5 years old when the picture was taken. She didn’t need to ask anymore. She touched the picture and felt the memories when her father was still alive. She would always be her father’s little girl.

“Are you okay, madam?”

“Yes, I’m ok. Please forgive me for asking so many questions and disrupting your work. I am just fascinated with your family pictures.”

“I don’t mind answering your questions.”

Isabel turned the last page of the photo album. She saw her picture sitting down on a couch and wearing a gown. It was the picture taken when she was celebrating her 18th birthday.

“That is my Aunt Isabel, the daughter of my granduncle Esteban. I don’t know where she is now. When I first saw you, I felt this very close connection because you look exactly like my aunt Isabel.”

Isabel couldn’t help the tears from falling in her eyes. It finally dawned to her why Matilda gave her the watch. She was her grandmother. She wanted to give her hope and chance to be happy again.

“Thank you for all the things you’ve done for me. When I first saw you, I also felt this very close connection like we are related to each other by blood. What are you going to do if you’ll learn that I am your Aunt Isabel?”

“I’ll take good care of you because that was the dying wish of my grandmother.”

Isabel pulled the ancient pocket watch out from her pocket. She turned the page of the album on Matilda’s picture holding the ancient pocket watch.

“Look at the watch she’s wearing and the watch I’m holding. Can you spot the difference?”

Rodel looked at the watch Matilda was wearing on the picture and the watch Isabel was holding. He tried to spot the difference between the two watches. The two watches looked exactly the same. He couldn’t spot the difference.

“The two watches look exactly the same.”

“Yes, you are right. The two watches look exactly the same because the watch you see in the picture and the watch I’m holding right now are just one.”

Rodel was blown away.

“How did you get that watch?”

“Would you believe that I receive this watch directly from my grandmother Matilda?”

“How did it happen? Great-grandaunt Matilda died before her son Esteban was born.”

“Maybe Grannie Matilda was not introduce to me formally but during the most trying time of my life, she appeared from nowhere like an apparition and handed me this watch.”

“That’s impossible.”

“Anything can happen in this mysterious world.”

“Maybe you dreamt that great-grandaunt Matilda handed you a watch and when you woke up, the watch was already beside your bed. Maybe someone left it on the side of your bed while you are sleeping.”

“I don’t know how else I will convince you so that you will believe me. But anyway, I’m glad that I found out that you are my nephew. I don’t know any of my relatives because my father was a recluse to them.”

“Welcome to the family.”

“Thank you Rodel.”

Isabel hugged him.

“What do you want auntie?”

“I don’t want anything else in this world except for you to be happy.”

“Thank you auntie. If you need anything from me, just don’t hesitate to call me.”

“Thank you.”

Isabel told Rodel how she discovered the function of the watch and how the watch works.

“Do you think it will work for me?”

“I am not sure. But you can try to use it? Let’s see how young you’ll go.”

“I think I’d better stay the way I am. I don’t want to go back to my childhood days.”

“Why? Don’t you want to feel how to be young again? Don’t you want to be wild and free again like a child?”

“My childhood days was not that easy. I needed to work hard to help my parents and my siblings. I never enjoyed my childhood days.”

“Why don’t you try to use it and enjoy your childhood life for a moment?”

“I don’t know if it will also work for me.”

“Come on. Give yourself a break. Maybe fate cross our paths so that you can also take advantage of the magic of the ancient watch. You never enjoyed your childhood life. This is now your chance to turn back the hands of time and enjoy your childhood days.”

Rodel picked the ancient magic watch. He stared at it for a moment. 

“Do you think I can change my current situation if I turn back the hands of time?”

“That’s a very sensible question. You can no longer change your past because it is what defines the person you are today and it is the foundation of your future. However you will have the chance to enjoy your childhood life to the fullest. Are you cool with that?”

“That’s very cool.”

“Game?”

“Game.”

Rodel slowly turned the hands of time and pointed it at exactly 12:00. A very bright light illuminated from his body. He turned back into a 10-year-old child again. He ran towards the falls and plunged into the deep blue water. It was the first time in his life that he felt how to be a child again. Isabel was happy for him. She went inside the tree house. The tree house was the only refuge she had on this chaotic world. When things didn’t go her way, she found peace inside the four walls of her sanctuary.

There’s no place in this world she would rather be. She fell asleep. She didn’t care anymore if she would ever wake up the next day.