[61] Memorabilia

The IT guy clicked the video entitled ‘New File’.

The video showed a snippet of Batch 38 memorabilia from the day they arrived in Mactan International Airport up to the day they prepared their presentation for their graduation. For a period of 3 months, they traveled to different parts of Visayas like Bantayan Island, Malapascua Island, Camotes Island, Bohol, Kawasan Falls, Dao Falls, Aguinid Falls, Binalayan Falls, Kampael Falls, Bugnawan Falls, Inambakan Falls, Tumalog Falls, Magellan’s Cross, etc. They also have some exciting activities like scuba diving in Mactan Scuba Dive Center, whale shark watching in Oslob, mountain climbing in Osmeña Peak, dolphin watching in Moalboal, island hopping in Mactan, spelunking in Ogtong Cave and Bukilat Cave, cliff diving in Funtastic Island, etc.

Most of the teachers were very proud of their students for making it this far even though they were not able to make it on top.

The students were divided into 4 groups for the talent presentation. The groups were divided equally with 8 members each consisting of 4 boys and 4 girls. The first group was called Team Hawaiian. They danced the Hawaiian Dance. The second group was called Team Pyramid. They danced the Egyptian Dance. The third group is Team Kimono. They danced the Japanese Dance. The last but not the least is Team Mawa. Their team name Team Mawa was derived from the word Timawa. Timawa was the feudal warrior class of the ancient Visayan societies of the Philippines. The four boys in their team wore bahag. Bahag refers to the loin cloth or G-string worn by male members of various ethnic groups in the Philippines. It is a long cloth wrapped around the torso and then passed between the thighs, with hanging parts in front and back. The 4 girls were wearing the Spanish men’s fashion during the Renaissance period. They also wore fake beards so that they would look like real men. Their leader held the statue of the Child Jesus or otherwise known as the Sto. Niño with both of her hands. 

The four boys wearing bahag danced around a pile of wooden sticks. They were chanting a prayer to their anito pleading for a fire to miraculously burn the sticks they piled. Anito were deities and gods that ancient Filipinos believed in before the Spaniards arrived in the Philippines. 

“My name is Magellan. We are sent by King Phillip from Spain to make friends with you. Please accept our friendship and embrace Christianity.” The leader holding the Sto. Niño said.

The four boys wearing bahag did not take heed to the Spaniards. They continued chanting and dancing around the pile of wooden sticks. They attempted to get their attention for the second time but they still failed.

The Spaniards sensed that they were praying to their gods to conjure a fire. One of the Spaniards picked the two pieces of wood and rubbed them together while the other one lit the wood discreetly. The 4 natives looked at the Spaniards with awe. The leader of the Spaniards pointed the Sto. Niño and made a sign of the cross.

The natives showed an expression of amazement. They looked at the Spaniards and grabbed the Sto. Niño. They made a sign of the cross. They danced the Sinulog with the beat of Pit Señior. 

Team Mawa got the loudest applause of all the 4 teams.

“That was very impressive. I was moved by your great performances. I think I’m not the only one who was surprised by your talents but the audience as well. Thank you for sharing your talents. We appreciate it. Don’t worry all your efforts will be paid off because we have a surprise for you!”

The audience cheered.

“I would like to call all the 4 teams to please come here in front of the stage.”

The audience clapped their hands. All the 4 teams went in front of the stage. 

Ms. Sophia handed the envelope to Samantha.

“This is in no particular order. The Best in Costume Award goes to…..”

Drumroll beating.

“Team Kimono.” 

The members of Team Kimono jumped for joy.

Everyone in the audience clapped their hands.

“And now for the Most Graceful Award goes to……”

Drumroll beating.

“Any wild guess?”

“Team Pyramid!” 

“Team Mawa!”

“Team Hawaiian!”

Most of the teachers cheered on the team where their students were part of.

“It seems like our audience have different preferences when it comes to their favorite teams. Or maybe they are cheering on their students’ team. I won’t let you wait for long. The team who got the Most Graceful Award is……”

Another drumroll beating.

“Team Hawaiian.”

The audience clapped their hands. One of the teachers whistled.

“Now, for the Most Creative Team, goes to……”

Drumroll beating again.

“Team Pyramid!” One of the teachers shouted.

“Alright sir. Give it up for Team Pyramid.

The audience clapped and jumped for joy.

“I think you already know who the winner is. Please give way for Team Mawa.”

The audience whistled and cheered on Team Mawa. 

“I would like to call on our headmistress Ms. Sophia to present the award to our winning team.”

Ms. Sophia went up the stage.

“Thank you Teacher Samantha. In behalf of Leon’s Planet ESL Institute, I would like to present this award to the winning team. Congratulations Team Mawa. Good job also for the rest of the teams.” 

Ken received the wooden guitar trophy on behalf of his team.

“Congratulations to all of you. Before we end our program, I would like to call Teacher Isabel for her closing speech.”

Everyone clapped their hands.