[72] Playing House

Ken woke up earlier. He went to the grocery store to buy groceries. When he arrived in his suite, Isabel was still sleeping. 

Ken wanted to prepare a special meal for Isabel. He cooked Tom Yum Goong (spicy shrimp soup), Som Tum (spicy green papaya salad), Khao Pad (fried rice), Pad Krapow Moo Saap (fried basil and pork), and mango sticky rice.

Isabel woke up from the aroma. 

“Good morning, sunshine.” Ken greeted Isabel.

“Good morning, my love.” 

Isabel recalled Emile’s ritual every morning. He’s always the first one to wake up every morning to prepare food for her. They might have different status in life but their attitudes were still the same. Ken was born to a rich family while Emile was born to a poor family.

“How are you feeling today?”

“I’ve never felt so good.”

“Nice.”

“What are you cooking?”

“I’m cooking a special Thai delicacy for you.”

“Ah, that’s very sweet of you.”

“You know that you are very special to me. I want everything to be special for you.”

“Thank you.”

Isabel sat up in bed. Ken set-up the bed table in front of her. He put the tray of food on the bed table. He sat beside her.

Ken held Isabel’s hand and blessed the food.

“We thank you, God, for this our food, for life and health. We give thanks for the pleasure of gathering together for this occasion. We give thanks for life, the freedom to enjoy it all, and all other blessings. As we share this food, we pray for health and strength to carry on. This we ask in the name of Christ, Our Heavenly Father. Amen.”

Isabel made the sign of a cross. Ken followed the same.

“Did you already convert to Catholicism?”

“Not yet. I’m planning to convert to Catholicism so we can marry in a Catholic Church.”

Isabel was touched. She felt so blessed to have someone like Ken into her life.

“I hope you like it. I made it a little bit spicy for my taste and not so spicy for your taste.”

Isabel took a sip of the shrimp soup. Her eyes became watery.

“Please don’t cry, my love. I promise I won’t make it spicy the next time I’ll cook food for you.”

“No, I love it. Thank you for preparing this food for me my love. God bless you.”

Isabel kissed Ken’s cheek.

“How do you find Thailand so far, madam?”

“Thailand and Philippines almost look the same. Even Thai and Filipino beauties almost look the same. I have a strong feeling that I’m going to enjoy my stay here in Thailand.”

“Don’t worry, madam. I’ll make sure that you will enjoy your vacation. And you will never forget your experience here in Thailand.”

“I will also never forget you, my love.”

Isabel ate the food with gusto. She was so full. She burped. They laughed heartily.

“Are you ready?”

“Ready for what?”

“Ready to meet my friends and relatives?”

“Oh my. You should have told me that I’m going to meet your friends and relatives so that I could have awaken earlier to fix myself.”

“It’s ok my love. You’re still beautiful even if your hair is messy. I’m pretty sure they will like you.”

“I hope so. I’m nervous and excited at the same time.”

“Just relax. Everything will be alright.”

Isabel took a shower. She applied light makeup on her face. She was undecided whether she’s going to tie her hair in a ponytail or just let her hair down.

“I think you look better when your hair is down.”

Ken said who was standing behind Isabel.

“Really?”

“Yup.”

“Ok, I’ll let my hair down.”

“Better.”

Ken gave a thumbs-up sign.

Ken and Isabel took the sky train to the end of the line to On Nut. He held Isabel’s hand tightly to make sure that she would not be snatch by anyone. They talked about their past experiences, their hobbies, and everything under the sun. When they arrived at On Nut Station, they took a motorcycle taxi going to Wat Mahabut Temple. They continued their conversation.

“We’re here now.”

“That was fast.”

“We didn’t notice how far we go because we enjoyed each other’s company.”

“I agree.”