[58] Waiting Versus Making it Happen

“Listen to me, Isabel. The stars will never fall for you. Instead of waiting for the stars to fall, build a ladder to reach for it. How sure are you that Ken will come back for you on bended knee with a ring in hand? Instead of waiting for his return, why don’t you follow him in Thailand and confess your undying love to him. It’s better to love and fail rather than not to love at all.”

“That’s too aggressive! It is very unethical for a girl to court a guy.”

“We are already in the modern age. We are no longer in the 80’s. In this modern age, it is already the girl who courts the guy.”

“I can’t do it.”

“It’s up to you if you wanted to miss the chance. I hope you will not regret on the things you didn’t do rather than on the things you did.”

“I don’t think I have the guts to follow him in Thailand and confess my undying love to him.”

“Isabel!”

“What?”

“Don’t you dare call me in the middle of the night with your heartbreaking stories! I will laugh hard at you when Ken gets married to his fiancée. I will blame you for missing the chance you should have taken.”

“You’re too harsh.”

“No, I’m not harsh. I’m simply realistic. I will never be your friend not unless I have insulted you a lot of times.”

“I didn’t say that I will not do what you told me to do. What I’m trying to say is that I’ll think about it, okay?”

“I dare you to do it, okay? This is for your own sake. You’re not getting any younger, baby.” 

“Yeah, right. Easy for you to say but very difficult for me to do.”

“No, it’s not difficult to do if you’re passionate enough to make your dreams come true.”    

Pretty checked the time on the wall clock. She noticed that it was already 15 minutes past 12 midnight.

“Is the time in your wall clock advance?” 

“No. Why?”

“Aren’t you suppose to turn back into an old woman? It’s already past 12 midnight.”

“Actually, I don’t turn back into an old woman anymore since our romantic weekend getaway.”

“Really? How long are you going to stay young? Forever?”

“I’m not sure how long I’m going to stay this way. Matilda showed up to me the night I didn’t turn back into an old woman.”

“What did she say?”

“I didn’t understand the meaning of her message. She just told me to believe that I have finally found my forever.”

“That’s good news. Don’t you think that this is a sign for you to follow Ken in Thailand?”

“I can’t do it. I’ve never been in Thailand. I’ll get lost in there. If Ken is really for me, then he’ll come back in the Philippines and confess his love to me. The only time that I will go to Thailand is when Ken will ask me to go with him.”

“There we go again to Falling Stars Lesson 101. I don’t know Isabel how else I’m going to explain to you the difference of waiting and making it happen. Do you really believe in signs?”

“Yes. I can see the sign that Ken will truly come back for me.”

“Signs are only for foolish people. God will never show you a sign. He will give the blessing directly according to His will.”

“Signs will only come to those who wait and believe.”

“Many people died waiting for the sign that didn’t come at all. So you better make it happen before it’s too late.”

“I hate you. You’re ruining my moment.”

“I’m not ruining your moment. I’m simply telling the truth. Truth hurts. I don’t want you to cry at the end of the day and tell me that I should have done what I need to do. I love you as a sister. Think about it before it’s too late.”

“Thank you so much Pretty, baby. I’m not saying that I’m not going to take your advice. I’ll think about it a thousand times.”

“No. Don’t just think about it a thousand times but think about it a million times. I won’t take so much of your time anymore. I’ll go now. Bye. Take care.”

“Why don’t you sleep here in my apartment and go back home tomorrow?”

“No, thank you. I prefer to sleep in my apartment so that you can think clearly about what I had just told you.”

“Okay. Fine. Good night, Pretty.”

“Good night Isabel.”

Isabel hailed a taxi for Pretty and bid goodbye to each other.