[91] Finally Found

When Isabel arrived in the Philippines, the first thing that she wanted to do was to visit Pretty. She missed her so much. She was disappointed that she was not able to attend her wedding but she understood the reason why she was not able to come.  

Isabel knocked on Pretty’s door.

“Sister Grannie?!”

Pretty was surprised to see Isabel.

“I miss you my dear Pretty, baby.”

Isabel hugged Pretty.

“I miss you too, Grannie. I haven’t heard from you since you went to Thailand. Ken called me once to go in Thailand to attend your wedding but unfortunately I couldn’t come because of the storm that hit our province. How’s everything going on with you and Ken in Thailand?”

Isabel told Pretty everything that happened to her in Thailand from the day she was blacklisted in the airport until the day she left Ken’s burial.

“I feel sad for your loss. Ken is also my friend. Your loss is also my loss.”

“Thank you for everything you’ve done for us. I’m glad that I was given a chance to be with Ken. My wedding with him became possible because of you and Morris.”

“It’s my pleasure to help you. Are you ok or do you still need more time to recover?”

“I’m ok. I know that this day would come. I already anticipated that whatever happened to Emile will also happen to Ken. That’s why I already brace myself for the inevitable. However, I didn’t expect that he would be taken from me so soon. I wasn’t prepared for that. But don’t worry, I have already recovered.”

“Are you sure you have already recovered?”

“Yes. I’m pretty sure that I have already recovered from Ken’s lost. How’s everything going with you my dear?” 

“I don’t want to beat around the bush. Surprise! I’m pregnant.”

“Oh my God! Congratulations my dear. I’m so happy for you. How did it happen?”

“I don’t know how it happened. It just happened.” 

“But, are you happy with it?”

The tears that had been threatening to fall from Pretty’s eyelids burst forth like torrents of rain.

“Yes, I’m happy. In fact, I’m the happiest woman in the world.”

Isabel hugged Pretty in a motherly way.

“Who’s the lucky guy?”

“He’s a very special guy, though not my ideal type.”

“What does he do?”

“He’s a motorcycle taxi driver.”

“That’s a decent job. How did you meet him?”

“I met him in the most unexpected circumstance. I know deep in my heart that he’s not my type of guy. But suddenly there was a twist that changed my life forever.”

“That sudden twist must be very interesting. Tell me what causes this change of heart?”

After I passed the teacher’s board exam, I was lucky to get a teaching position in the mountainous area in Busay, Cebu City. I used to ride a motorcycle from my apartment going to Busay Elementary School. 

I am not a loyal passenger to any driver and I don’t want to be one for fear that he might fall in love with me. I don’t want to be courted by a motorcycle driver. Going to work and back home became a challenge for me especially if the weather is bad. There is this one motorcycle taxi driver who sensed my hardship and volunteered to be my regular driver in going to school and back home. Undeniably, he is handsome. Based on his status of living, he’s not the type of guy who will ever win my heart so I yielded to his offer unaware of the trap that was yet to unfold. 

He was always punctual in fetching me and never failed to show up rain or shine. He was always cheerful. He’s positive outlook in life was very contagious. I never heard him complain even though the road ahead was difficult to travel. He always found a way to make every journey safe and fun.

One day, there was a Signal No. 2 storm that hit our province and it’s already too late for the Department of Education to announce that classes were suspended. The children were already in school. I was worried on how I would send my students safely back home. The rain fell hard and the wind was howling strongly threatening to blow us if we dare to go out from our room. So I let the children stay inside the room while waiting for the storm to abate. I was worried on what I’m going to feed to my students in case we’d get stranded. I uttered a silent prayer while I texted my principal and fellow teachers on what we’re going to do next. 

Before I received a reply from my principal or any of my fellow teachers, my prayer was answered.

Mark arrived and brought boiled bananas just enough to feed my forty hungry students.

Aside from generously feeding the hungry mouths of my students, he also volunteered to accompany each of my students to their respective homes. 

I grouped my students based on how close their houses were. I sent and entrusted them to the hands of my gallant hero or rather my knight of shining armor.

It was already dusk when Mark was finished sending each of my students safely back to their dwellings.

“I’m sorry it took me a while to send all the students to their respective homes. I can’t use my motorcycle. The road is too muddy and slippery. Plus there are trees that fell and block the road. I hope you don’t mind walking. But don’t worry. I’ll walk with you until you’ll arrive to your house to make sure you’ll arrive safe and sound.”

“Thank you. I don’t know what I’m going to do without you.”

I hugged Mark out of the blue. I couldn’t think of anyone who would lovingly give his time and energy and risk his own life for the sake of saving the lives of other people except him.

“I’m sorry. I’m just overwhelm. Thank you. I hope one day I can pay you back.”

“It’s okay. It’s always my pleasure to help anyone who needs me.”

As we walked hand in hand in the muddy path and murky sky, a few drizzle was still sizzling in the sky. Despite of the cold, Mark gave me his one and only raincoat so I won’t get wet. I refused at first because I didn’t want my knight of shining armor to get colds. But he adamantly refused to take his raincoat. I started to feel a budding love deep inside me with his kindness.

As we walk further, the drizzle escalated into arrows of rain. We couldn’t proceed further. The fog was so thick, we couldn’t see the road ahead. It was too dangerous for us to continue walking. It’s either the trees might fell on us or we might be swept away by the wind. 

“I’m sorry. I don’t think we can proceed any further. We need to stop and wait for the storm to abate. Or else we might be swept away by the wind forever.” Mark said.