[74] Meeting Ken's Parents

Ken’s parents went down from the grand staircase. 

“Welcome back Ken. How’s your studies?” Ken’s father greeted him.

“Everything’s good.”

“We miss you so much.”

Ken’s mother hugged him.

“I miss you too, mom.”

Ken hugged his mother back. 

Isabel was impressed with Ken’s closeness to his family.

“By the way, I would like you to meet my girlfriend Isabel.”

Ken put his arm around Isabel’s shoulders. 

Ken’s parents looked at Isabel as if she’s an unwelcome intruder into their family. She smiled timidly.

“We didn’t send you to the Philippines to pick up a girl on the street.”

Ken’s father looked at Isabel with disdain.

“I didn’t pick her up from the street. She’s my decent teacher.”

“That’s very unprofessional of her to elope with her student. She’s not a good role model to her student. She should not be allowed to teach.” 

“Please don’t judge her immediately, mom. She didn’t elope with me on her own free will. I kidnapped her. I forced her to go with me.”

“What’s wrong with you Ken? Your mom and I didn’t raise you to become a kidnapper nor a rapist.”

“You have to return her back to the Philippines. Her friends and family must have been worried with her.”

“You are the one who don’t understand. I already ask permission from her friends and family. I convinced her to go with me in Thailand and she agreed after how many times I ask her. I love her. I wanted to marry her whether you like it or not.”

“Are you out of your mind? You cannot marry her. You are already engage to your childhood sweetheart Chailai. You’re marriage has already been fixed. You have to marry Chailai and return that woman to her country.”

“No way! I’m not going to marry Chailai. I will only marry the woman I love and that is no other than Isabel.”

Isabel sensed the tension between Ken and his parents based on the tone of their voices and the expression of their faces even though she didn’t understand the word they’re saying.

“Ken, I’m warning you. If you’re going to marry that woman, we are going to disinherit you.”

“Go ahead. I will still marry this woman even if I don’t inherit anything.”

Ken held Isabel’s hand and walked out the door.

“We’re not bluffing Ken. We’re going to disown you the moment you walk out from that door.”

Ken didn’t look back. He continued walking while pulling Isabel with him. He hailed a taxi. He didn’t tell her about his conversation with his parents. She didn’t dare ask him. She waited for him to calm down until he’s cool enough to tell her everything. They were silent along the way until they reached their hostel.

“I’m sorry, our meet and greet didn’t turn out well.”

“It’s ok.”

Isabel understood Ken’s situation even if she didn’t understand their language.

“I already told you before that I’m already engage.”

“I know.”

“I agreed to the wedding arrangement even if I don’t love her because her family and mine are very close to each other. I also don’t have any reason to refuse since she is my childhood sweetheart. But when I saw you Isabel, everything had changed. I know my parents will throw me out the street if I’m going to take you as my wife and call off the engagement. What else can I do? I love you and that’s what matters most.”

“I love you too Ken. Are you sure about your decision? I am already an old woman. My days are already counted. We won’t be together for a very long period of time. Maybe we’ll stay for years or months depending as to when God will call me into his kingdom.”

“I don’t care how long we’re going to stay together into this world. What’s important is that I’m going to cherish every moment with you.” Ken kissed Isabel’s hand.

“What are we going to do now?”

“I don’t know. Maybe we’ll rest for now. And once our mind is already refresh, we’re going to plan our next move.”

“I think that’s a better idea.”

Ken slept immediately the moment his head touched the pillow. He was so tired that he couldn’t think of his next game plan. On the other hand, Isabel was not able to sleep. She kept on thinking on what tomorrow would hold for them. She finally slept when she turned back into an old woman.