[68] On Bended Knee

Magsimula sa umpisa

"I don't care."

"What do you really want from me?"

"First of all, I would like to say sorry for leaving you. I didn't mean to make you lonely. I already know everything that happened between us especially about our past."

Isabel was taken aback on Ken's words. She wondered how he discovered about their past.

"I love you Isabel with all my heart and soul. I don't care how young you are. I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

Ken bent down on his knee. He took a small black jewelry box from his pocket and opened it. Inside the small black jewelry box was a diamond studded prong ring.

"Will you marry me, Isabel my love?"

Everyone was stunned to see a young and handsome man proposing to an old woman. The scene they saw was like a scene from a romantic movie. Their love life was like a story that would only happen in novels. Most people who witnessed the proposal wondered what type of love potion Isabel put on Ken's drink that made him fall deeply in love with her.

"I'm sorry Ken but I don't feel the same with you. Just save your diamond ring to a younger and more deserving woman. Don't waste your life with me. You're still so young and you can still meet a lot of wonderful woman."

Everyone was disappointed on Isabel's answer. They didn't expect her to turn down the proposal.

"Hey Grandma! Just say yes to him. Aren't you flattered to receive a marriage proposal from a young and handsome man?" One of the spectators cheered on Isabel.

"You don't understand what you're talking about. This young man here is out of his mind." Isabel replied.

"We don't think that he's out of his mind. He's only desperately in love with you."

"I'm begging you to please stand up and go home. Take a rest and once your mind is already refresh, get up, and look for a younger woman."

"No. I don't want any woman except you. I will do anything for you if you say yes to me."

"You have to stop this madness now! Remove your car on the way. You are already causing traffic and disturbing other people's lives. Don't you know that what you're doing is against the law?"

"Just say yes to him, Grandma so that he'll remove his car. We cannot pass through this bridge not unless you will say yes to him."

Isabel wanted to jump off the bridge. She didn't want to make a scene.

"Ok. Fine. Yes."

"Are you sure, my love?"

"Do I have a choice?"

"Yes! Yes! Yes!"

Ken jumped for joy.

"Oh my love! Thank God. You don't know how happy I am. I promise you will never regret for marrying me. I will make you happy for the rest of our days. Oh Isabel! I love you so much."

Ken hugged Isabel. Everyone clapped their hands and cheered on the newly engaged couple.

Ken swept Isabel off her feet and put her back inside the taxi. He took 10,000 pesos out from his wallet.

"Morris, take this 10,000 pesos, The 5,000 pesos is for the taxi driver and the other 5,000 pesos is for you and Pretty. You can go anywhere with Pretty. If you want to check-in inside a hotel, go ahead. Just don't force her to do something she doesn't want to do. You know what I mean. And take good care of her for me."

"No, you don't have to. Take this 5,000 pesos with you and take good care of Teacher Isabel for me."

Morris put the 5,000 pesos back on Ken's hand.

"I don't know how I am going to thank you. I owe my happiness to you."

"You don't have to pay me back. You deserve to be happy."

"Thank you."

Pretty went together with Morris. Ken went together with Isabel. They parted ways. The taxi driver revved the engine of his car and moved his car out of the way. The flow of traffic in Marcelo Fernan Bridge went back to normal again.

"Where are we going to sir?" The taxi driver asked.

"To Plantation Bay."

"Ok."

"Hi my name is Morris." Morris offered his hand.

"Hello my name is Pretty."

"Nice to meet you Pretty. You name and your face is so pretty."

"Thank you."

"Is Plantation Bay ok with you or do you want to go to another place?"

"No, Plantation Bay is ok with me."

"Alright. I'll take you there and I will make you happy."

"I'm excited."