7

(Sam)

Sam opened her mouth to argue "What in the", but Matt had already pulled off a pair of swords "Don't try to chicken out, Evan."

John contended softly, another chill for Sam, but not in fear. "Matt, please don't fight." Matt ignored John as Sam scowled at Matt. His sisters stared at Matt incredulously. This was not his usual character.

However, Cass sided Matt, she had forgotten her usual lady's manners "You show him, Sam." ...What??

The garden was tense up by a challenged Martel and an irritated Evan. John gave Matt a dirty look. Jane and Luciana were glancing at John, who felt helpless, then at Matt. Chelsea and Cass stared at them, expressions hopeful and knowing. Sam crossed her arms, frowned "No. This is not why I came here for."

Matt said maliciously "You are... chickening."

Stupid boy, she rolled her eyes. Sam remembered what Michael told her when she stepped out of the jesting with him. Never let people lowered you without showing them how to be lowered first, that's what he told her.

She threatened "Fine. Don't say I didn't warn you." After all, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Matt gave her John's blade, the side of his cheekbone twitched in amusement "You might need a shoulder to lean on after we duel." What was wrong with him? She was starting to have a strong dislike towards him.

"You wish."

They rounded on each other, high guard, waiting on a suitable moment to strike. Sam's graceful moves and Matt's cunning techniques were even. Sam threw an overhand cut, and Matt parried lazily at her. She slapped his sword with John's aside, yet Matt was even more cautious; he counter-thrust.

They danced each of their steps to predict the opponent's next move. Sam streaked; Matt defended. Matt attacked; Sam dodged. The audiences were drawn to this little match. Soon, the match becomes more intense.

He was no surrender, she had to give credits for that. Blast. This is frustrating. She thought she was going to lose when his movement indicated he was going to pin her to the ground. Her blade slapped his blade away again, ignoring the ache of her muscles when she increased the speed, sending cut after cut to his blade until his movement slightly gave away his exhaustion.

"You should go for my neck when you had the chance." She whispered as she neared him, a plan forming.

He smirked, attempting to strike her again "I rather go for your heart."

With that, he lunged at her, wanting to make her yield. She dodged away, pinned him to the ground, he didn't give in. Both of them toppled on the ground, until he was on top of her, his right hand placed on her side to prevent crushing her. She took this chance to twirl John's sword to pull out his from his hand, it landed beside them.

Noticing this, he grabbed her right arm, pinned it to prevent her move the sword to make him surrender. She fought against him. Hard.

Their eyes met, yet her rival looked like someone struck him with lightning, his hand loosened on hers.

Heart racing, she tilted John's blade, new confidence blooming in her as the tip of the blade met his neck. Both of them were breathing heavily, he got up slowly, his eyes analyzing her. She followed, still pointing the blade in his direction. He froze, completely dumbfounded by her victory. Sam pretended not to be glee about it.

Take that, you arrogant lord.

"Outstanding!" exclaimed John, patted Sam on her head, beaming. Her stomach fluttered in pride. Jane and Luciana cheered.