13

CHAPTER 8

(Sam)

Sitting on a swing attached with two ropes that were fastened on a branch of a tree beside Sam's house, Sam kicked the ground, pretending she appreciated the shuddering breeze that rocked her and the swing along, leaves danced joyfully by the draft she created, the tinkle of melodic fizz rubbed the peace of night-time. Dusk was Sam's favorite time of day, she liked the beauty beneath the dark.

Somehow, currently, she was not looking forward to the end of the day. She would rather work without haste than spending sleepless nights on her bed, rolled over the mattress countless times with jumbling considerations. Her parents knew something was very wrong with her recent silence, Michael and Amber decided that the attacks by Lurid Bandits had scared her. She didn't care though if they left her alone, she was fine with that, she was relieved not to explain to them what happened that day.

Dave and Anne, on the other hand, kept tailing behind her like bodyguards who expected her doom soon. She couldn't understand why they were so protective over her. Since the bandits' attack, they forbid her to go out, and as for daylight... she was only allowed to go if there's somebody escort her. That night had proven to them that she was able to take care of herself, but no, why would they care? It wasn't that she loathed her parent's new rule, she was not a little girl anymore, all she could do was to thank her lucky star that she did not tell her parents about Jarvis saw her face.

Still, she was curious about Jarvis's reaction that day.

Why Jarvis looked shocked?

Who is Sieyen?

In the end, she concluded that it was just another mistake of mixing her name like Luciana did when they met for the first time. Speaking of her... she felt a sense of pride when Lord Richard's daughters loved the new dresses she made. Even Anne was pleased by her work, which was rare because she had a good reason, her clumsiness.

She went to Girvan's Mansion every afternoon. Since Helen wasn't getting any better, she volunteered to accompany her, it was sad to abandon her in the hour of need, and Chelsea missed her.

There was still another problem for her. Jarvis's inquiry was held in June, a month from now. What if he told Sheriff Henry that she was a witch? She would be in jail for sure. Fortunately, the newspaper never revealed her presence during the attack.

This reminds her of yesterday at Martel's library, was she imagining it, or did she saw Matt stared at her wrist, the exact place where she was injured? She couldn't tell, he was unreadable as she was, but her wrist gave away his usual cool face, is that why he hates her? Because he knew the dark magic inside her? Half of her was snorting in disbelief, because he was always pompous and callous, hostile of people with low-class lifestyles, just like his cousin Eva. So, unlike his brother John. He couldn't know.

Maybe she was just overthinking all the negativity.

She caught footsteps approached her, they must be belonging to Dave's. Another sheer of joy bubbled up in her when she learned that her father can walk now, caring Michael insisted their father that he should rest till the day after the party, for good measure. Michael is Michael, overprotective like Dave and Anne.

"Sam?" A tense deep voice cuddled her gloom.

She was wrong, Michael was the owner of the footsteps. Michael was here for Amber's check-up routine. Her legs dug to the ground, making the swing came to an abrupt stop. She peered at him carefully, hesitation jumbled between the train of her thoughts.

"Room for two?" he gave her a lopsided smile; she felt a huge stone in her stomach melted into a fist-size rock. She moved to the side of the rope by giving him some space to sit. The swing creaked slightly by the increased weight, yet it was built to hold two people.