1

Sembon, Present Day.

Chapter 1

(Sam)

Forward, back, forward, back. Then forward again, intercept against the sword. Make a mighty overhead strike. Then, attack again, diagonal rising cuts and the left side of the body, that'll do.

"Evan??" a male voice interrupted her train of thoughts. She blinked, that's when she realized where she was.

Blast. Did she daydream again? She looked at the young man who was sitting across her, his eyebrow raised, waiting for her to speak. They were at the dining room, two of them alone while they could hear the adults in the living room. She had an inkling they're trying to eavesdrop on their conversation. Right now, she could hear their giggles and exciting chats.

She wasn't sure whether to flush in embarrassment or face red in annoyance. Either way, the scarf on her face would spare her from the young man's notice if she does that. She wouldn't want her so-called mishap heard by her mother.

Remind her why she agreed to meet him again? Oh right, all she wanted was her own archery set. And her mother managed to persuade Dave to buy her one as a gift if she considered Bale's proposal.

Sometimes she wondered what would the life of the rich looked like. Maybe they are the ones who bribe others instead of the other way around.

"Are you even listening to me, woman?" his voice sounded annoyed.

The young man, whom she barely knew, except for his name, which is Bale Dove. He was three years older than her, came from a well-groomed family, judging by her mother's repeated gush over the Dove family and how they graciously accepted their proposal. Bale's post as a general's second-in-command in Northwest of Sembon complemented his well-defined body, rippling with muscles.

Instead of wearing his usual combat uniform whenever Michael and he visited, he was dressed casually today. His brown hair was slicked back neatly, even his shirt wasn't wrinkled. Everything was so neat. Casual indeed.

"I am." Believe her, she tried. She tried to be dazzled by his charming look. Trying to form a friendship here, consider accepting his court. And yet, as saying goes, the first impression is everything.

Oh, Bale made an excellent impression all right. Sam was sure she wouldn't forget a gentleman like him. Her early talk with him was still ringing in her mind.

"What do you plan after marriage?"

"You'll move in with me. My mother said you'll do fine with her."

"...We'll live with your family?"

"Aye. My mother said she could train you to be a perfect wife. Good woman, my mother, she wants what's best for me."

"What stuff... exactly she will train me?"

"Manners, given your reputation indicated your ...poor manner - nothing to be worried of, dear. You'll are in good hands. My mother is proficient in this."

Think about your reward, Sam. Don't think about ways to struck him with your sword. If he wanted a perfect wife, then he shouldn't be here in the first place "My parents? Can I visit them?"

"Maybe not until the third year of the marriage. People might think you are...not disciplined. They could stay for Christmas and New year, but they'll have to sign as guests should they want to stay at my residence."

"Can I work?"

He looked at her like she grew a pair of heads "Why would you want that when you have me to work for you? Being at home and do chores is your job. That's what girls are created for."