16

Chapter 8

(Matt)

I was right, I never should have come back. I should have stayed in Catsimite.

One stupid mistake, followed by another, and another, that had changed everything tonight.

Everything. How on earth did I let this happen?

It was an hour before the party. I snuck in the manor through the back-servant gate. After today, I won't have to repeat such. By the time I came back home, it was six in the evening. An hour before the party.

Butterflies punched my stomach uncomfortably at the idea of facing the whole lot of Sembonians. I peeked at the corridor, which was surprisingly empty. Without wasting any time, I dashed into my room. How I wish not to go to the welcome party, maybe I could ditch it, faking an illness or something...

"Matt?" Or not.

The door was opened with my brother's interference voice, I could tell there was a shock that came across his face when he found out that I am not ready.

Hastily, I kicked away my cloak and mask under my bed. I wasn't going to let him know that I went out of the manor. What I didn't realize was he was standing right behind me until I whirl around - it does seem like that, and my head was knocked by his.

Ouch. That hurt.

How much did he saw? Did he saw what I was hiding?

"Sorry, I should have knocked." He muttered cordially. Rubbing my forehead, I forced out a smirk "You just did."

His face relaxed into an amusing smile "In a wrong place."

No, he didn't see anything.

Relief, I greeted peacefully, so that he was not suspicious of me "Good evening, what can I do to you?" There was nothing I could do to him. Except to be polite.

John raised an eyebrow "Don't tell me you forgot."

I thought over his statement, a sudden realization dawned over me. About that... I touched my hair for assurance. "Do I have to do this?" I said, noticed he had his haircut. That left me...

For a couple of seconds, I thought I was looking at my father, but he wasn't that merry-looking like John. It was understandable that my brother resembles my father. He was charming, as always. Now with his brunette waistcoat and grey long pants along with his meticulous short hair swept back in slick, fabricated his courteous face, now he was beyond the usual charm. I suddenly feel a rush of sympathy towards the bachelor women in Sembon.

The door opened, a stranger in a professional suit came in. Where had I seen this guy before? An undercut hair, tall and skinny figure of male glanced at my brother then back at me, eyeing at my hair "I demand a high paid for this one. How am I going to style his hair to his look? This lad here is another level of hotness. And one hour!!" he walked over, shamelessly lifted a lock of my tresses and scanned me. I slapped his hand away, glaring. He stepped back.

Now I remembered. He's my brother's best friend brother, Keyon whatever-his-last-name-is, a professional stylist. I bet he was already here since this afternoon for my sisters and brother.

John shrugged "Which is why I called you, Key. He's a special case." The edge of his mouth lifted into a teasing smile "And you're the only one who can conquer his fear of cutting his precious baby."

I defended "More like afraid of trusting my hair to wrong hands." It wasn't my fault some barber left a horrible bad hair memory. Keyon grinned, once again observing me "Forgive me for being rude, you just caught me off guard." He dared to wink at me "Matt Martel, I'm Keyon Elk, your savior today, my lord."