22

(Matt)

I pulled the cozy satin blanket closer to my chin, urging my mind to rest. It felt soft and warm, a call of slumber. Yet did it? Even with my eyes shut, my mind was racing over past events, unsettled thoughts, and untamable perturbations. I debated continuing forcing my subconsciousness to tone down.

As always, it didn't help me, just as others didn't.

I should have taken up John's offer to sleep on his bed with him. He noticed I was having one of my insomnia episodes. It wasn't a surprise for him to find out since I had them occasionally during our stay at Catsimite. Sometimes, it would require another person to sleep beside me or a long late-night shower to calm my nerves.

Except I wasn't having nightmares that could be settled with neither a company nor a shower. I felt...trapped. As if I was unable to breathe.

Fear. The word was not enough to describe what was building up inside me. I shuffled to my right, eyes fixing on the newly changed curtains danced under the chilly wind. It was futile to force myself to sleep. I finally got up, slipped on my boots, and walked toward the balcony, where I was endowed with silvery light above.

"What is the meaning of this?!" Luciana demanded as she followed me to my room.

"How much did you hear?" I asked, mentally cursing at myself for this.

Luciana's eyes flashed angrily "Long enough to make me nauseated. How long did this happen?"

I warned "Keep yourself away from this. Forget what happened tonight."

"Forget? Forget that I saw my brother got harassed by my cousin?!"

"And I blackmailed her. We are even now. So, again, not a word about this."

"NO. Did you realize what she was trying to do?!"

I snapped "Oh, no. That's why I kept rejecting her. Cause I am clueless about her intention. I blackmail her since I am oblivious to her trap."

Luciana looked livid, I waited for her ramble, her feeble hit or nasty lashing, anything that led her to calm down. She was too overwhelmed by the situation that happened. I understand, even my heart was pounding over Eva's threat.

I almost...I almost thought I would give in. I almost thought I was trapped by Eva's wanton. It filled me with humiliation that perhaps...perhaps I might do something regretful.

"Luciana, it's over now." the sentence came out unconvinced, but who cared? "Promise me you won't say it to anyone. Even Jane and John."

My little sister snorted "After what she did just now, you are still defending her? I'm sorry, Matt. I can't promise you this, because you are making a mistake." Then, she said the next four words that have been ringing in my mind since the day I was engaged to Eva "You can't marry her."

I should have denied her, or convinced my sister I am content with what I was forced in, maybe even remained silent.

I sneered "I don't remember giving ownership of my rights to you. I can marry whoever I want."

I wasn't in the mood to flinch at her murderous glare. That glare lingered on her face only for a second before she crossed her arms with a weird look on her face "What about Sam?"

What about Sam?

I didn't answer her again, which irritates her for being cryptic. How else should I answer my sister? I lus- attracted to her possibly soon-to-be best friend?? And she didn't mean anything important to me?