30

(Sam)

The sound of royal trumpet bellowed the Cathedral. Sam shot up, knocked her head under her father's chin. "Sorry." She muttered as he rubbed her head gently. What was the noise? The survivors jerked their heads towards the entrance, Cassandra's figure loomed towards her.

"The king and queen are here." disclosed Cass, worried. There wasn't much warm expression radiated on her face, mainly after her father's death. Sam did the only thing she could, patted her shoulder, a rush of sympathy came over her "How is your mother? Is she all right?"

"None of us are. She took it the worst." Replied her best friend, tears brimmed her eyes. Cass was not the only one who lost her loved one, several civilians had respectful funerals for the dead victims there. When they did, people joined along to express their condolences to the one that was concerned. The day before was for Cass's father and a fair few others. So far, yesterday was the most formal. They were specially prepared for the noble families, Lord Dean, the lord of the southern part of Sembon, Lady Catherine's husband, and Sheriff Henry.

People were still discussing -or rather, gossiping about Henry's death. Some said that Henry couldn't save himself because of his deformity of walking on account of what happened on the night of her release. Some said that Sam was the cause of this quake by saying that she was angry with Henry and made a natural disaster involving witchcraft. It was ridiculous! Fortunately, this time, no one believed the rumor.

The mask lad had made sure of that.

It became difficult by the day, wondering if she could ever get the answer to his real identity and trying not to expose him to it. He may be diabolical, yet she was a grateful person. Turning a person in just because he saved lives is not an act of a grateful person.

Who is he?? The only clue she had by far was his dark blue eyes. Eyes of the relentless dark sea itself.

Was he here along with the people, witnessing the catastrophe? If he wasn't, then where was he now? She had not forgotten that anonymous letter either.

Whatever happens after this, I'm here for you.

"Where is Michael?" Sam scanned their left and right. There was a whole lot crowd of them, standing up now. Sam followed, spot her brother entered in. Not long after, the royals marched in with their fine clothes and cloaks draped over their shoulders. Prince George and his lady, Jane followed. She remembered apologizing to Jane for her absence in the lady's wedding, feeling foolish when Jane chided her for apologizing when she should be worrying about getting herself out of prison.

"What is with their looks?" Cass noted Michael and Amber's expressionless look. Sam shrugged, somehow dreaded their sudden arrival. People whispered with the others questioningly. Soon, they stood up to greet the royal family. The Evans and Cass proceeded with a bow. The king and queen took a seat in front of everyone. He waved his hand decently. Everybody sat down. Michael and Amber walked towards the Evans and Mare; a few stares trailed after them. "How are you doing?" he asked them, Sam muttered fine before the king started his speech.

"Greetings, to beloved civilians and my deep condolences to those who had lost their loved ones. These days had gone miserable, I shall not deny the outcome of this unfortunate catastrophe, the loss of people, shelters, and even our rations. We lost what we hold dear, I know how it feels." He paused, looking over a sea of lonesome people, gripping to his words. His speech bought tears to a few of them.

Was it just she or she wanted to tune him out? It must be her first impression of him. After all, he permitted Henry to start the witch-hunting party.

The king continued, "As a father of this kingdom, I couldn't bear it. Especially after a shocking foreboding by my trusted philosopher in acknowledgment that there will be more of disaster and even war fallen upon us by the time comes."