26

Chapter 12

(Matt)

It happened at the beginning of the coldest season of this year. For those people who had lived before us, they knew that this was bound to happen.

For those who didn't know... It was going to be a big shock.

Snow everywhere; it was like walking on a world of ice - which was full of ice. It felt strange after five years of not meeting winter. Catsimite was a kingdom where the only summer exists, not every day I get to see gentle rain of snow or snowman displayed at a corner of the road.

Thus, when I woke up early in the morning and found everything outside was as white as a blank cold page, it made me almost... startled. Until Arnold told me that winter had arrived. How strange. Since we had a long break from this time of year, John, Arnold, and I chose today to stretch out.

I watched the one hundred and fifth snowdrops fell elegantly on a leafless tree I was leaning on, the branch could not take its weight, and they landed gracefully like a blanket on my black leather boots.

I was surprised by the compatibility of black and white. It was bewitching. It will never happen in real life, black and white don't match together unless they survived the tactless spot of black and the innocence of white.

Unfortunately, black was in a dilemma now. White never seems to look closer at what black was capable of. White did not know he was tainted, he never wanted her to be polluted by his dark side, her purity was exquisite, and it should not be caressed by his shade. That was why he was being tactless with her. He ignored her. Dark disregarded his match - although it was written that they were a match made in heaven.

I folded open the ivory slip I had kept for months after my sister's wedding. It had became a daily routine for me to keep in check with the name in it, to remind me that I was not going anywhere until she is safe and wholesome. After all this time, I knew my place very well; I knew who I am -until she came into my life. Now all I needed to do were to keep an eye on her and find the answer to our mess-up lives. Some instincts told me that I was involved in this chaos.

Protecting her was my plan for now.

I, Matthias Martel would never let people ruin my plan, nor intimidate me; it is always the other way round.

People should have known that by now.

"Beer, my Lord?" Arnold handed me his bottle. It was his way of warming his cold body in this weather. John teased before I could even reply, "Don't even talk about getting Matt drunk. He will go berserk for going head over the heels."

It's not my fault I didn't like the bitter taste of beer. I preferred wine over this. It was not that I don't drink... At least I knew when to stop. Health is wealth.

"Unlike you, who don't even know which place you sleep on by the next morning until I had to be chased by three farm geese for getting you out of there," I recalled back a stupid moment he had done after his fourth glass of whiskey in one of the bars in Catsimite, some boys who were his friends had this celebration in the honor of King's coronation. Imagine if some women came to your doorstep and swore some offensive words to you because your older brother had passed out in their house after cheering and flirting with them, and pushed the indecent boundary. Fortunately for John, Uncle Terry was a nobility, they didn't bring this case up to court, yet a fine was to be paid. John swore off drinking overboard after that. I don't blame him that time, since it was on our dark days. Both of us were seeking for distractions to forget our depressions. Still, he had to drag me into that.

"Can't believe you call those women geese." John, as usual, wasn't even disturbed by his embarrassing moment. He and Arnold roared with laughter as I muttered, "They did chase me like geese, you know." John stood up, walked to the side of right, even when he was facing away; I could tell he was smirking.