Chapter 20:

Twenty minutes is all it took for them to arrive at the police station, the rain still trickling down at the world below. They got drenched again as they ran down the street, through parkways and across the saturated pavement, even with an umbrella with them.

They wiped off the spinkles of water that managed to gather across their arms and legs as the walked into the police station.

"Where's you're dad then?" Jack asked, out of breath.

"He should meet us here I messaged him as we ran here. My phones wet now because of it." She said scanning over the ordinary faces that lined the desks until she caught glimps of her father walking towards them. He looked foreboding as he took long stides toward them, his uniform making him look more official with each second that went by.

"Hey mads, jack what brings you here? You're message sounded urgent."

Madison pulled him to the side to avoid unwanted ears overhearing them. "Dad I need your help."

"What is it honey?"

"I need you to get us ten minutes in the evidence room to look over zaras phone again."

"Why?"

"We need to double check something. It's not adding up with everything we've found and we're running out of time."

"I dunno poppet, it seems a bit odd. Plus I don't have access to that stuff you know I work on a different department to Robert." He said placing his hands on his belt buckle, clutching at his gun and tazer as he debated the situation in his head.

"I know. I know. But I need you to do this for us dad."

"What's the weather like outside?"

"Huh? Why?"

"Well can you wait outside for ten minutes while I try and swing something for you two?" He said giving her a sly smile.

Madison beamed at her father as she rushed to give him a quick hug. He returned her hug but peeled her off him and ushered her back outside.

"Im sure we can linger for ten minutes! Thanks dad."

"Wait for my message." He said poking his head out of the doors.

"Thank you sir." Said jack. He gave Jack a curt nod and took himself back inside.

"Go on scram!"

They ran down the stairs and waited at the small brick wall that lined the station, a feeling of deja vu washed over madison as they once again were leaning against a brick wall together.

They stood in slightly comfortable silence before jack decided to break it. "Hey mads?"  He spoke softly.

"Yeah?"

"Can I ask you something?"

The realisation washed over her. She knew exactly where this was going. "I think I know where this is going."

"You do?"

"Yeah you're going to ask about the kiss aren't you?" She winced nervously, her fingers tightening and loosening all at once on the umbrella.