prologue.

"Jack, please can we just leave this place I'm getting the creeps here," a tall young girl said. Her hair was dark down with light brown streaks throughout her hair and her eyes, a dark grey that reflected the light like a mirror. Her stance was rigid, tense. Her breathing, erratic. She was clutching onto the boy, Jack's, arm for dear life.

Over them loomed the ominous echo of thunder and lightning, rain trickled down each of their faces as they trudged through mud and dirt to reach their destination. The trees rustled in the distance joining in the choir of noise that surrounded them. The girl, Maddison, jumped as each thunderous roar of the night sky rumbled around them. They struggled to see anything in front of them as the rain hammered down on top of them and as the night got darker and darker with each passing hour.

Jack laughed a deep throaty laugh and patted her head. "Come on now, Madison. things are going to be fine, after all, I'm here with you." he winked. The girl, Maddison, rips her hold off Jacks arm in disgust.

"Yeah, that's what worries me most of all," Jack laughed but said nothing else. Madison got her foot stuck in a puddle that had newly formed in front of them, as she argued to get her shoe out of the mud, she gazed at jacks back as he walked off. He had short dark brown hair, and as he turned around to look at her, she could see his matching dusky eyes. His clothing was simple with his dark wash jeans, white top, and his black jacket. Clothing which, seemed to almost attach to his small frame as the rainwater had drenched every inch of them both.

"Come on, hurry up! it's not very far from here." he said as he grabbed her hand and pulled her forward towards a faded black barred gate. Thankfully she had just managed to win the argument with her now filthy shoe as she hopped along behind him.

"What I don't understand is why we couldn't have got the answers that we were after from her? why wouldn't she tell us anything?"

"Maybe she's just scared to see how you would react."

"But why? we have been friends for years she should know me by now. I know I got a little bit angry back there but that shouldn't make her afraid of me." she said sadly. confusion swarmed around her mind thinking back tot he conversation that they had had just a few short moments ago. it seemed like they still had no answers to anything still. He let go of her hand when they reached the gate. Her hand felt cold as the wind gently brushed against it. She put her hands in her pockets to keep them warm. Not that, that was much help as the rainwater had all but drenched the inside and outside of both of their clothing, but it helped a little. if not to keep her warm, but to comfort her somewhat.

"Hey, mads! come over here a sec. can you read something for me?" Jack called.

"What so you can't read anything yourself now?" she asked sarcastically.

Jack faked a laugh, which made Maddison smile. Jack pointed to the top of the gate where some curly, intricate writing could be seen. It was late at night, dark, and the gate was very old and delipidated, it clearly hadn't been maintained in years, maybe even decades. The engraving of the words was hard to make out as the black paint that surrounded the gate was chipping away. Both Maddison and jack pulled their torches out of the bags that they had slung over their backs and pointed them at the wording. The writing seemed to be in Latin.

Jack beamed a huge smile as he noticed the writing, because as if luck would have it, he knew that she could read Latin. She had been taking it as a hobby outside of school life. And he knew more than anything, that she was good at it.