Chapter 1.

1 week earlier...

"I'd thought the carpet was clean...that was until my face made close and painful contact with It." Jack said, his face turning red with shame and embarrassment, as he recalled an awkward story of him from years before.
He, Madison and their friend Ella were all sitting happily in a café, drinking a mixture of hot and cold drinks between them. Current topic at hand; their funniest and simplest failures during their lives. And it seemed like Jack had won a narrow margin compared to Madison's burp in crowded room on her 12th birthday and Ella's skirt riding up to reveal her underwear. Ella and Maddison were laughing in hysterics beside him.

Jack groaned hitting his head on the table. "Why am I friends with you two?" he muttered to himself. Ella scooted closer to him and wrapped her arms around his shoulders and pulled him closer to her. Her long black hair brushing against his face as she pulled him into her, her dark brown eyes turning hazel as the sunlight hit the corners of her eyes.

"My dear Jack," she said batting her eyes in front of his face. "you are friends with me and that lovely woman over there because you love us and think that we are awesome." she paused pointing at Madison and then to herself. "That is why you are friends with us." Jack just rolled his eyes while Madison and Ella high-fived and laughed between themselves.

"Very true, Ella" Madison commented in approval, taking a sip of her coffee. Jack just sulked and played with the straw inside his iced coffee.

"What's wrong, jack?" Maddie asked, concerned. Jack just waved his hand in dismissal. Madison grabbed his hand and held it. "Tell me." She ordered gently, he smiled at her gently, looking down at her hand that lay on top of his.

Jack sighed. "It's Stacy." Maddison and Ella both groaned and shook their heads at jack. They knew enough about Slut-Stacy to write a book on her. But they both knew that the only person who would be remotely interested in that book would be herself.

"Tell us everything." Ella said as she took a bite of her apple, that she pulled out of her shoulder bag that she had hanging off the back of her chair.

Jack sighed heavily. "Well...it's just that I can't stop thinking about her, but she's more interested in Jacob," Jacob was Stacy's latest fling. Her and jack previously had an agreement that he was her only fuck-buddy. But his feeling extended more than just sex, as can more often than not, be the case. Jack had never been the luckiest fish when it came to swimming in the pool of love, he had had many heart breaks in the past, one of which being more recent than Stacy, but he had hopes for him and Stacy. After all, he thought that if was patient enough, agreed to everything she said that she would return his feelings for her, despite his best friend's constant warnings about her. "I thought she liked me back...we had an agreement! What happened to keeping your word?"

Ella groaned, chewing loudly on her apple. She leaned back on her chair and propped her legs onto the empty seat beside her, tilting her head slightly she looked at Jack unenthusiastically. 

"Jack, sometimes people don't understand the promises they are making when they make them. Or they don't understand their value to the other person." Madison said passionately.

"Or both." Ella added as she crunched on another bite of her apple.

"Yes, thanks for that Ella." Maddie said shooting a glare in Ella's direction. Ella just shrugged and sat up in her chair, propping her elbows up on the table in front of them.