Getting Cold Feet (James POV)

Start from the beginning

Clint and Brock looked to James, this was his show. James fell into his role, knowing it was the bright spot of amusement he had in his routine life. He sagged against his chair and ran his hand through his hair, giving off as much hesitation as he could.

"Look, Carter..." He glanced at his brothers. But this time with a mix of worry in his expression as if he needed their moral support. He knew Carter would pick up on it. And that factor made James more excited but he held that feeling in. "You know we love Donovan."

"Of course," she said.

"We only ever want the best for him. We'd do anything for him." He gestured to her. "And you know that we have come to love you too."

Carter smiled at that.

"But... Marriage is different than dating. And honestly." He paused as if his words pained him. "We've talked about it and we're not sure you're the right type of wife for Donovan. We think he deserves someone better suited to him."

James waited as the words landed on Carter. Years of getting to know her had prepared him for the outburst about to come. This girl was a fighter and there was no one she'd fight harder for than Donovan.

James was ready.

Carter stared at them each in turn and dropped her head.

"You're right," she said.

James froze mid-rise, his rebuttal already in his throat. He sank back down, sharply looking at his brothers. Both sat completely still in their seats, eyes glued to Carter.

"What?" James asked.

Carter nodded slowly. "You're right. I'm not a good fit for Donovan. He deserves someone better."

James tried to say something but found his throat petrified. Carter was not responding how he'd predicted. She was supposed to fight him. Why wasn't she fighting him?

"I've been thinking this since we got engaged and honestly, you saying this only confirms it." Carter lifted her head and James felt his heart seize at the sight of her glassy eyes. "You love him more than anything. That means you'd always want what's best for him and want his happiness. You telling me this means I'm not going to be the best for him. I understand that now."

James waved his hands frantically. "Okay, no, this is not what it seems."

"James, don't. Don't take back your words for my sake. We both know what needs to be done."

Before James could even comprehend what Carter was doing, she held her phone in her hand and it rang once.

"Carter, don't-"

"Carter, I'm just parking. I'll be up in a second," Donovan said on the other end of the line.

"Don't," Carter said, her voice choked. "Don't come. Donovan, it's pointless to continue with this relationship when I know that I'm not good enough for you and so do your brothers."

"Carter that's not true-" James tried again but she held up her hand.

James felt as if his entire body was a stone cage trapping in his panicking heart.

"Carter what are you saying?" Donovan asked.

Carter pressed her hand to her mouth. "Don't... don't come. It's over."

"What!" Donovan shouted. "Carter, I'm coming. We need to talk. I don't know what's going on, I don't know what my brothers said but we'll talk about this."

The fear in Donovan's voice shot through James. This was a prank for Carter, to indoctrinate her into their group, not destroy his little brother.

"Please don't," Carter said, sounding more vulnerable than James had ever heard her.