Chapter 28 (Lexi)

Start from the beginning

        I would never be able to go anywhere. I certainly wouldn't be able to see Anthony Rizzo again. I always knew there was an expiration date on all this, but I didn't want that to end so soon. I was enjoying my time with Anthony. I wanted much more sex before I had to drop him and pretend to remain pure.

If I'm being honest with myself it's not just the sex, but the chemistry. The talks we've been having when we hang out.

        When the back kitchen called our order Boris got up to grab it from the small window cut out along the back wall of this place. It smells greasy inside here, but I enjoy this place regardless. When Boris plopped back down the whole booth shook with him.

"So, you took me to get food to bribe me to behave then?" I got to the main point of all this.

"If I don't keep you in line it'll be me who gets the beating, so yes, I've brought you here to ask you to be on your best behavior. I've given your father good reports since moving here. Don't make me look like a liar" he told me. Of course, all in Russian.

        I'm so nervous for what's to come. I almost didn't have an appetite anymore, but I knew I should eat. I huffed and tried to let the tension release from my shoulders. There's nothing I can do about their pending arrival. There's nothing I can do about the way they treat me. If I dwell I only make it worse on myself.

I knew my life was changed forever the day my mother died. I knew when Vitaly reached my life that it was nothing but trouble from there.

There is a reason my mom fled to America when I was seven. She didn't want him in our lives. In my life. All my mother's hard work to keep those men away from me, and it was all for nothing once she passed. She'd be devastated to know they found me. It's good she isn't here for at least that.

My mother was my best friend. Even several years after her death I still grieve her every day. I still feel her gaping absence in my day to day life. In my important moments.

        When a pair of thick fingers snapped in my face my eyes shot up to Boris in his all black uniform. His face set like stone, but he had inquiring eyes. "It'll be fine," he told me. Is it though?

-

         I was surprised to get a text from an unknown number today. I was even more surprised when I found out who it was from. Mia texted me telling me she'd been busy, but meant to text me sooner. She'd asked for my number on the last job we did together.

I think she felt bad because I didn't know anyone in New York, and she sympathized with that since she too had no friends in New York when she first moved here. I didn't think she'd actually text me though. It's just one of those things you say to be polite, but you don't actually mean.

        When she texted she'd been busy, but meant to reach out to me I just texted her back letting her know it was alright. She didn't leave it at that though.

*Mia: Do you have any upcoming work? If not I might have a fun little project for you* She surprised me once again. I can't say I wasn't intrigued though. *Me: I'm listening*

*Mia: I have a friend, Sammi. She's a photographer and she wants to take some raw photos of me, but she was also asking if I knew anyone else who might fit her vision. I suggested you and showed her some of our outtake photos from our first job together. She was definitely interested in photographing you*

I bit my cheek and thought about this. *Me: I'm assuming this is for fun and not paid work?*

Not that I only take photos for money, but I do like knowing what I'm getting myself involved in. Plus, my face is my money maker as cringy as that sounds. So I can't just give it out for free.