xxix. where did the party go ?

"COSTUME"

***

the halloween ball was something you had been looking forward to all year. it was both yours and severus' favourite holiday, although you showed it more than he did.

every year you would come up with the most elaborate and funniest costumes anyone had ever seen. this was no different, but you were indecisive on a costume idea. teetering between eponine and cosette, both from that muggle musical you and severus saw during the summer holidays.

severus had watched you for the past two days unable to decide on what to be for halloween.

you whined to yourself as you slumped onto the soft and large armchair, sinking into its cushions. severus looked up and saw you whining.

you were banging your head against your notebook, that had been filled with all the costume ideas you had for every halloween ball.

"something the matter love?" severus asked as he handed you a mug of tea.

"i have to figure out who i'm going to be for the halloween ball." you asked.

severus knew of how passionate you were about this, how you would undoubtedly be the talk of the school with your wild costume ideas.

"why don't you...not dress up?" severus suggested, that was a bad idea.

"not dress up, you take me for a bumbling fool severus snape." you dramatically replied back, playfully clutching at your chest as you mocked how severus' words wounded him.

severus couldn't help but smile, you did nothing but make his day and that was something he didn't know existed.

"i just can't decide on a costume, it seems like everyone has taken my ideas already." you said.

"that's a first." severus said, you were always the first to come up with your halloween costume so the fact that the students had come up with their ideas first is shocking.

"i don't mean to talk like dumbledore, but sometimes the best ideas can be right in front of you." severus said.

you tilted your head and raised a brow at his words, "now what does that mean?" you asked.

"i would tell you but you'll have to figure that one out." he said, getting up as he grabbed his wand and walked off.

you could unravel severus' words in a heartbeat but being unable to figure this one out was going to be at the back of your head all day.

you sighed and looked over to your notebook, flicking through the very elaborate costume ideas that you had. all of them were detailed and you put a lot of effort into it but perhaps, the halloween costume you were looking for was right in front of you.

you hummed to yourself, doodling in your notebook as you looked around the setting you were in.

you looked down at your notebook, it turned out you doodled a little drawing of your husband. you tilted your head, you instantly shot up and went through your wardrobe.

this could undoubtedly be your best idea yet or your worst one.

***

every day for the past month, you had been working on this costume. it stressed you out but sometimes the most stressful pieces can turn out to be the best.

you sewed on every single button on the sleeves and on the torso. you tried it on here and there but you knew that it was always missing one single button.